Arrghhh! spare tyre isnt just the basic problem...

stooz

They are resurfacing everywhere I go lately, and I have just got a stone flipped into the brake disc cover, leaving me with a high pitch squeal!

Ahh, I think, jack the car up, pop off the wheel and clean out the stone.

No.

No jack, no spanner. BUt at least I have the hook to get the caps off the bolts. whats the point of that!!!

I get that a tube of gunk saves money by not giving me a wheel, but when they supply an electric pump and the gunk, surely there isnt much saving!? I dont gain space or weight, as I dont use the spare space, and the pump is as heavy as a wheel (well maybe not)

so I am forced to take time out or time off work to get to a garage just to remove a tiny pebble. And they will probably charge me, unless I go to a dealer who will tell me they cant book me in for a fortnight....

:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

Time to by a jack and a spanner....

Yeah, £50 to spec a spare wheel with jack etc when new.

I don't know why they don't just throw it in and put the price on the car, I mean £50 on a car approaching £10k + is not worth bothering over. But wait as you say it's more money to be generated for their service dept, no jack, call the tow truck etc.

My other car is worse (MX-5) can of gunk which is out of date, to renew it is an extortionate price (Halfords tyreweld purchased instead) No room to keep a spare wheel, they never provided that and you can't buy one for my model even to just chuck it in the boot. But at least they provide you with a pump, jack and tools to remove the wheel :clap:

Earlier models of the MX-5 did have a spare as standard be it a spacesaver. More modern cars, it's progress now to omit them :devil:

Now you've got me ranting. :notme:

If it makes the difference to drop a car a tax band, its an easy target. You will see a lot of cars a just 1g under their band limit.

Plus they get to make more money selling you either more goo as it goes out of date or a full kit when you realise you do need it later.

There is people who cannot change spare wheel. That's why they don't need spare wheel. Now you can decide if you want to buy spare wheel instead.

3 times I have had a stone jammed in brake disk. Some reversing and stone drops, problem solved.

• Like 1

local scrappy?

find a scrappy with a fabia, up! or mii in and see if you can nab a spare wheel,jack etc? got to be better than the stealer price for a kit

:)

for those with a jack, is it the sort with a U shape on the bit that fits the car? I had a look and couldnt see an obvious jacking point, but my old polo, you clipped it on a specific part of a strip of metal hanging down with a bump in it. Didnt see a bump on the Citigo.

There is little arrows pointing the place where you should lift.

You could also check the owner's manual as it shows the lift points with pictures.

• Like 1

I got jack kit of ebay from skoda dealer brand new for £55 and brand new space saver for £25. The jack kit comes with everything you need including wheel insert and the air comperssor fits in space as well so you have everything you need . As for extra weight, im sure it adds weight but mpg has not changed.

Thank you for this thread.

Just pulling up on a nice quiet road for a new customers first driving lesson and suddenly hear a squealing noise.

i remember this and yes, i have a spare wheel. so i said to the customer "this is how you can change a wheel"

with the road wheel off, i pull out a tiny stone chip from between the brake disc and cover.

problem solved, on with the lesson.

• Like 1

Helpful hint, how to get rid of squealing noise if you have no spare - engage reverse.

I know from experience this method also works if you have a spare, at least for Fabias and Roomsters!