real mpg

Mines an 07 with a BLT,getting it over 50 mpg on the computer is a rare event,think the only way to be sure(ish) would be brim to brim but i've never bothered as it doesn't seem like it drinks fuel.

It might be worth getting the car plugged into VCDS/Vagcom to check for faults. Do a log to check the MAF is reading properly, check the coolant temp sender, maybe the thermostat just to name a few. Sounds like some fault finding is needed.

If your MPG figure is out. Then usually in Vagcom you can adjust the gauge to compensate for the inaccuracy. Never done it on a Skoda but certainly Audis and VW you can.

I believe you can do this for the ASZ engine but not the BLT or I would have done it long ago.

Just checked the service history, air filter and fuel filter were last changed 20000 miles ago, could this make a big difference to mpg? The air filter looks quite dark on the inlet side but its not full of crud just stained black. I want to try the easy things first without spending a fortune.

How easy is a egr clean? And would this help?

My car (not a Fabia sorry) reading has always been very accurate, when tested by brimming, recording mileage and brimming again. It's a PD130 2002 Superb, remapped to roughly 180. It easy achieves 55mpg, and I rarely see less than this, other than short 2 mile journeys, on a long run cruised at 75 it hits 65mpg no problem. My other half has a Fabia VRS 2003 and this car achieves similar figures. Some people here seem to be getting much lower, a bit heavy on the brakes perhaps. I try to never touch the brakes when driving generally, only when necessary.

Just to add, both cars are serviced (oil service) every 8,000 miles.

Edited by Alan16ac