Apple Airport

2SkodaFamily

Have I misunderstood, or will any of the Airport devices replace my wireless router? My current setup is that I have a bt Openreach fibre modem, going to my TalkTalk router.

Obviously the top of the range device has automatic backup, but other than that, is there any benefit?

Have I misunderstood, or will any of the Airport devices replace my wireless router? My current setup is that I have a bt Openreach fibre modem, going to my TalkTalk router.

Obviously the top of the range device has automatic backup, but other than that, is there any benefit?

I've only played with the time machine but from my understanding yes.

I was looking for at the AirPort Extreme but it's a lot of money for router especially with only 3 LAN ports.

The express is more designed as a portable router and audio endpoint. I'm not convinced it'd be a great router for the home.

The time machine is a nice bit of kit if you need a nas and backup solution but all the apple stuff is pretty pricy.

If your router includes a modem, then no it won't simultaneously replace it.

None of the Apple devices included a modem.

If your router is just a router (which it sounds like you have) then it's a straight swap + configuration.

Agree with the above point about Airports being a fairly limited router. Why are you considering an Apple device? The Asus routers are very good and cheaper.

I like the way Apple stuff needs a minimum of configuration and hassle.

I've had almost two years trying to set up an Apple server and three Apple technicians can't get it working! Don't be misled...

Easy setup also means limited features and control.

Do you have Apple computers?

What's wrong with your current router?

Pretty much any decent router these days will come with some form of guided setup routine. Although some extra knowledge is needed to access the more advanced features and make the most of it.

I had an Asus router/modem and hardly skimmed what it could do. I now have a Apple Time Capsule and have almost exhausted what it can do and leaves me wanting more.

Just my thoughts.

My talktalk router is pants, just like their service.

I have an ipad, and my wife has an iphone. We may get a MacBook in the near future.

I also don't like the idea of talk talk having access to the router. I had an issue with my adsl a while back and they remoted in and turned on my wifi "because that must be the problem you can't connect to the internet".

Well they can argue with a draytek now - I was only waiting for a adsl modem.

As for the apple kit bonjour does work a lot better in my experience than with any other kit and is far less aggressive than other routers at internal filtering (drayteks and netgears don't seem to like certain dnla traffic for example)

On the flip side you don't get a web interface at all meaning you can only config using the windows or osx app. I don't believe you get get an ios or andriod app.

The Apple products do have some nice features as standard like being able to use them to stream music to remote speakers and extend the range of your wireless network with WDS. They also have dual band WiFi which is not standard on other products.

• Like 1