'A' Pillar Trim Replacement

Hi,

I have had an annoying tapping sound coming from the o/s A pillar over the last couple of days. Earlier when looking over the area from the outside of the car I noted that the A pillar trim (gloss black plastic cover) has a rubber seal on the bottom, of which has partly detached and was flapping around in the wind.

Ive removed it to stop the sound (it was knackered anyway) however am now worried that excess water may seep into the gap between the bottom of the cover and the top of the wing. There is quite a noticeable gap.

Anyone have the part number for this? How much will it be for replacement, and is it likely to be an item in stock at the parts desk?

Assuming its easy to replace, remove three screws on the backing/door line?

Thanks,

Hi storm, yep the seal is easy to replace but it normally comes with a new A pillar cover. Last price I had on one was £12 and it has to be ordered by your dealer. However, you can make a new seal yourself out of an old windscreen wiper rubber. I did and bonded it to the bottom of the A pillar cover. It looked identical to the one on the other side of the car. No one could tell. It's ok to go without the seal if you want to as it's actually just cosmetic, or as good as. Water won't cause any issues and it gets wet in there anyway. I ran without mine for 6 months. 

Most plastic trims are cheap at a dealer... for a while, while the car is being sold. About 3-4 years after end of production for a particular model, these same plastics become extremely expensive, in order to keep minimum spare part stock levels mandated by EU regulation (I think it is for 10 years after model goes out of production?).

I thought about replacing reinforced fibre/plastic skid plate on my Superb, ca 2011, I knew it used to cost about £150 for both engine and drivetrain covers back in 2006. I was told £450 in 2011, suffice to say I decided to fix the old one with steel loaded epoxy and paint it with rubber paint.

So if you are thinking about replacing some plastics, do it now as they will not get less expensive.

The A Pillar Trim gets ordered by some Windscreen Replacement companies as a matter of course so the fitter has them available as needed,

if not needed it is in stock in their van/depot.

Someone on Ebay was selling one for £25 from a car being broken,

double the price new.

george

Someone on Ebay was selling one for £25 from a car being broken,

double the price new.

george

Some of em on ebay assume you dont shop around though

Someone one ebay tried to sell me one rubber headlight cap for £15 (i thought it was for 2) whilst the dealers were knockin em out at £14 a pair.

I've seen the Sunglasses holder on Ebay for £30 (plus postage), when I bought mine from the dealer for £18 :D

Yeah! Iv found that a few times when iv looked.

I still havent bought one though haha. Need to get it ordered.

It took 4 day's to be delivered to the Dealership, then 5 minutes to fit (most of that was carefully removing the Alarm sensor whilst bending my thumb nail back!!  :'( )

Do it!!!!!

Edited by Simoneale1973

Sorry i do not have a parts number to hand, but i ask the Parts Desk assistant to look up what i want, he / she types it in, they usually know what is required,

they asks if that is the correct parts, then says if they have it in stock and the price

they go gets it or orders it in.

That seems to work fine usually.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...