Octavia and Yeti?!

octavius56

Hi,

Just want to throw a question out there!! I have a 56 place Octavia 1.9 TDi Elegance thats done 140,000 miles now and shows no sign of stopping. The one thing that goes against it is that its not the best car for having "fun" in. Cruises up to and beyond the motorway limits quite happily and returns decent economy (have seen just shy of 800 miles on one tank of the black nozzle). 

Looking to keep the Octi for my wife to use (retiring her rather unreliable Fiesta) and adding a Yeti to the fleet. I do a lot of motorway driving (Manchester to London/East Anglia) with just me, and several annual trips to Ireland with the car packed full. So the Octi is a bit of a swissarmy knife for what we need it for and i don't want to get rid of it, but its just "boring" to drive!!!

Access there are some compromises in terms of boot space and economy, but from what i have read (and the test drive we did) the Yeti seems a more relaxed car to be in, the height being a big advantage!!

Looking at the 170 4x4 elegance to tick all teh boxes for toys/performance/handling (plus roof box for the occaisions where boot space runs tight!)

Any thoughts?!!

Real world economy of 45-50 seems achievable from what people say, and the boot just needs some thinking?

Any regrets people have had about going for yeti over octavia?

Thanks in advance!!

Bear in mind you are going from a punchy feeling PD engien to a smoother CR.

So it might feel a bit refined and unexciting at first.

A remap sorts this issue, but I thought I'd mention it.

• Like 1

The yeti I test drove was the 110bhp SE and felt dog slow!! The PD punch is certainly nice!! The smile factor seems to be a very common comment!!

In regards remaps I looked at Celtic tuning for the Octavia but haven't bitten the bullet as the dmf is shaking a tiny bit. Any suggestions for what remap is best, taking into account improved economy being a key factor?!

Thanks!!

Had a Octavia PD 140 and 170, both great cars and now in a Yeti CR170. See in previous post " Yeti on Holiday " that we just done a 10 hr trip to Skye and was very impressed all round. Boot space isn't as good as the Octavia, although the dog hasn't complained yet.

You wouldn't be disappointed if you decide to go down the Yeti route.

The yeti I test drove was the 110bhp SE and felt dog slow!! The PD punch is certainly nice!! The smile factor seems to be a very common comment!!

In regards remaps I looked at Celtic tuning for the Octavia but haven't bitten the bullet as the dmf is shaking a tiny bit. Any suggestions for what remap is best, taking into account improved economy being a key factor?!

Thanks!!

Must have been a duff 110 mine is far from dog slow.

I came to the Yeti from an Octy (Mk I with the 110 TDi engine) and it's a very different car. Much more involving than the Octy was, and certainly more fun. I was concerned about the lack of boot space, but a roof box sorted that. Long term economy over 28K is 41.5mpg, mainly down to a short commute. I have managed one tankful at 45mpg, but generally it's 40 - 42. The more fun you have the lower the figure unfortunately. Recently remapped and now even more of a hoot to drive, but nice and civilised when you want it to be. :)

Any suggestions for what remap is best, taking into account improved economy being a key factor?!

Thanks!!

Improved economy is going to be marginal (1-2mpg).

Pick a tuner who has a good reputation and good c/s.

Shark have a lot of very happy owners, but there are others tuners available that also have satisfied customers.

When our is done it will (hopefully) be done by Shark

I've only had a few fillups since the remap (Shark), but at least they have both been over the 40 mark, given the car has been pushed a little more since! 1-2 mpg improvement would seem to be about right.

I had a 1.9PD Roomster before changing to a Yeti 2.0 110ps. I immediately noticed the difference in power delivery with the CR lacking the "grunt" of the PD but it was much smoother and faster. One thing I never really got used to was the need to change down to fourth to maintain 30mph.It juddered violently if you tried to leave it in fifth unlike the PD which would pull cleanly down to 15mph!

It's important to test drive as many models as you can, the differences are many.

Fred

• Like 1

It certainly is a very different power delivery from the PD engine - I came to the land of the Yeti(s) from a Mk 1 Fabia vRS but given the size of the Yeti it is still impressive performance (my experience has been in 3 CR170 Yetis). I had the Fabia remapped after about 25k miles and the difference was staggering (perhaps nudging 170 hp from the standard 130).

No doubt I will be corrected by the remap brigade  [ :x ] but recently I've enjoyed around 1000 miles in a Yeti with a DTUK dual channel 'tuning box' installed and the difference over standard is akin to what I saw in the Fabia post remap. Very, very impressive performance gain and the only downside is the Maxidot MPG being even more hopeful than it is in standard form (true MPG seems the same despite the more get up and go). I confess I haven't driven an ECU-remapped Yeti so I can't say how much better (if at all) a decent remap is over the DTUK box but can only compare it to the Fabia remap.