Headlight main beam assist. It's pants or is it me?

I find it very hit & miss and as someone else above said - I use it as an assist, I have to be ready to manually jump in. Also HBA cannot see around corners, I can see lights approach and be pre-emptive.

A lot of the people who love it have also been able to adjust sensitivity of the system - my car as per sig does not have those settings available and I cannot up the sensitivity. I think if I could set mine to most sensitive I might have better luck - but unless someone has found similar settings for newer vehicles, you just have to be always ready to jump in.

I did drive a V90 and that works much better. Not perfect but in most cases it's handling it. I thought the same supplier did all the different brands systems. I don't know why I assumed that but it seemed to make sense. 

On 17/01/2020 at 10:57, Stoofa said:

Also HBA cannot see around corners, I can see lights approach and be pre-emptive.

And that's one of the reasons why I turned mine off and just use main beam as normal. It's the time for it to see the light, think about turning it off and then actually doing so which I thought was poor. By the time it does it on my car, I've passed the car and I'm wanting it to turn back on!!!

I also found it liked to turn main beam on when I was on an unlit section of motorway, despite there being traffic on the other carriageway. 

I recently enabled this and, after a couple of weeks, turned it off again. Selecting main beam myself is second nature but I found I was having to monitor the assist function in case it didn’t do what I wanted. It’s supposed to help but I found it distracting wondering if it was going to work as I would want it to and intervening when it didn’t. 

Some weird and wonderful comments. Pointless HBA being able to see around corners and motorways are so large that...   well just lets's say never in my near 40 years of driving have I been blinded by a car or truck's headlights travelling in the opposite direction.

Works fine normally but then again, like lots of these systems, it's not the most intelligent when the sensors are tricked when windscreen is wet - which happens quite a lot here in Sunny UK.

Well it's not pointless HBA being able to see around corners, it's just impossible - however the human eyes can quite clearly see when a car is approaching around a bend and we can stop the dazzle.

So yer, very important that I manually switch off high-beam before a car arrives if I possibly can.

As for motorway driving - hell yes oncoming cars with full-beam still dazzle. It's all quite straight forward - high-beam should not be used when you can see white oncoming lights or red rear lights in front of you.

HBA takes those rules to the absolute edge and in far too many cases, too far!

I have mine enabled and it has done what it is supposed to do, but certainly not always.

• 1 month later...

Hah! I found out the car was installed with a well hidden led bar behind the grill. And that things slams to full whenever any part of the high beam starts to operate. So that solved that. I'll just use manual control since there's nothing intelligent with the bar. It's just bright. :)