1Z Face lift Air box mod?

Searched and found lots on this for the mk1 but not for the mk2. The standard air intake to air box looks good from the outside but on opening the intake just behind the front grille I was suprised to see that it isn't.  Only a very small amount of air actually makes it into the box. Has anyone done a mod for the intake so more fresh cold air is directed in? Thanks!

Takes a few seconds to pop the top of the intake part off and have a look, huge intake but most of the air just flows right through it and hits the closed air box. the pipe itself has a weird looking adapter on too - angled away from the air flow.

I've seen a few mods to that inlet part.  Basically they close or decrease the size of the hole at the back.  I have no idea if it works better.  I'm always concerned about water not having anywhere to go

Saw this the other day, but thought it's probably like that for a reason.

Only thing I've tired is remove from the airbox the baffle at the bottom (just slides out). I guess it's there to stop larger items coming into the airbox.

Took it for a run last night and it doesn't seem to "hiccup" in 5th around town like it did before. But I also done a forced regen as I had the light come up so maybe that also helped.

• 1 year later...

Yes, the original air intake seems to let most of the air rush underneath, past the main air scoop.  I've fitted a K&N induction kit and routed the hose into this intake.  To scoop in more air into the hose, I've used a hacksaw to cut the sides of the scoop, used a heat gun to soften the plastic at the bend, then forced the scoop down, making it straighter, then ran cold water to cool it down to 'set' it in place.  The intake was removed first, of course...

Now when you look through the front of the intake, the air scoop is in view and catching a lot more air, which then channels it to the pipe at the side.  I forgot to take pictures when I was doing it...  I'm going to try to modify a bit more to catch more of the air, possibly by adding a bit more plastic to extend the air scoop in some way.

e97a694s-960_zpsfqputwkp.jpg[R

L] 

0EF6B78D-A737-4F97-B625-E0A9ABA89156_zps

I also drilled behind this,on the airbox.and when in situ air passes through to airbox.

Also the top cover is for warmer climates allows better airflow.

Edited by vrsRo55

My K&N Induction kit fitted with pipe going into the air intake;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133505855@N06/28485867522/in/album-72157671640174295/

I used a hacksaw to free the sides of the air scoop, used a heat gun to soften the air scoop and pushed down, so that it catches more of the air;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133505855@N06/28485874932/in/album-72157671640174295/

The view into the air intake.  You can now see a lot more of the air scoop, which should help with the airflow;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133505855@N06/28485870742/in/album-72157671640174295/

• 2 years later...