RNS510 Firmware/Maps - Bit of Advice needed

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice from the brains of the members. I have already upgraded my 3T0035680A from firmware 2*** to 4024 (it is now showing as a 3T0035680B with HW H06). I currently have v9 (7918) maps installed and all has been working fine.

So now I'd like to move to v11 maps, but I am not sure if the disk space on the base 4024 fmware is sufficient (there is a special 4024 release on rnsfirmware which reformats the hdd in a different ratio) any idea if I need to do this?

An additional concern is that to do this it looks like I need to activate the firmware downgrade option to reinstall another version of 4024 (this isn't in my secret menu that I can see), do I need another 'patch'?

I am firm believer in getting the latest versions (a far as possible) and given that it is possible there seems to be zero dealer support in this area [emoji17]

Thanks in advance [emoji2]

You can go to 4120 without issue if you want to.

You are more likely to be limited by the 30Gb HD than the partition ratio.

If you know how big the v.11 maps are you can then modify the firmware yourself into whatever partition ratio you want to give you sufficient space for the maps.

AFAIK the v.11 maps are the same size as v.9 or 10. No proof on that though. Sorry.

I think the partition size in the ratio 60:35:5 is a play it safe mode and designed more for the older Columbus units with weaker lasers etc. As KB says if you have v9 on already you should be ok with the 70:25:5 ratios which you probably have when upgrading to v10/11.

Adam

Thanks both. Looking at the disk space allocation for music I think it must already be 60.35.5 8 (I might have upgraded via 3*** version and forgotten about it).

Reckon I will just try the v11 maps and see how I go.

Are there any advantages of 4120 over 4024?

Are there any advantages of 4120 over 4024?

Radio text & a better compass.

That's it.

Any firmware since 3810 creates three partitions to accommodate the separation of POI's into their own partition. I can't see VAG alienating owners of older Columbus units by not creating maps that will fit on the 30Gb drive especially when it is easy to modify the partition percentage allocation.

I went with the map upgrade and some speed can pois. The hassle of the firmware upgrade didn't seem worthwhile for the minimal functionality.

I have seen updates in the maps in the normal routes I drive. The only thing I would say (and this maybe that I've been paying more attention than normal), but the position seems to be a couple of metres off where we are ( I appreciate that GPS is only +- a couple of metres anyway)?