Gearchange - Shunt when letting out clutch

Alright guys,

Got an issue with the vRS' gear change that I've had since i bought it really, finally decided it needs sorting. If I try to briskly upshift (i.e. off the gas, clutch in, next gear, clutch back out), everything is normal up to and including selecting the gear, however upon letting out the clutch the car will jerk noticeably (SWMBO has commented on it before from the passenger seat). Obviously quick gear changes are often likely to be less smooth, but something isn't right.

In normal driving I have taken to lifting off the gas for a moment or two before changing gear, you can feel the cars weight "settle" during the brief pause and then select a gear and let the clutch out, no jerk whatsoever.

My first thought was the dogbone bush, however as per my signature I had this changed about a year ago for a Poweflex diesel polybush, which did nothing whatsoever for this issue (Although it has reduced wheelhop when giving it the boot) . At the time i had this done i asked the garage to check the engine mounts however they reported all was okay with them.

The car can also be similarly jerky if/when suddenly jumping on or off the accelerator, however the rest of the time its lovely and smooth to drive and there are no other issues with jerkiness or harshness which I understand can be associated with a knackered engine mount. I don't think its an issue with the clutch, as I've had no issues with slip etc during normal driving.

How would i diagnose a dodgy engine mount? I went out this afty and tried pushing on the engine see if there was any major movements, everything around the drivers side mount seemed pretty firm and there didn't seem to be any movement from the engine itself, however when looking at the passengers side mount I could see that the gearbox housing seemed to be moving ever so slightly.

Cheers guys, your advice is appreciated as always

Do the revs drop instantly on pressing the clutch in ?

Reason i ask is that I had very similar symptoms and my clutch switch was broken, the revs didn't drop straight away they hung for about a second causing really bad gear changes.

• Like 1

Could be a dying DMF

I did consider that, but the problem has been there for the last three years and hasnt really gotten any worse, I'd have thought if it was fly wheel on the way it would have gotten worse and worse or gone bang by now.

're: Clutch pedal switch had a look this morning and revs seem to be dropping as normal as soon as clutch is engaged so don't think that's it.

Try this, may need someone to help.

Open Bonnet, can you see the engine through the gap whilst sitting in the drivers seat, if you can good, if not get someone to help.

Ensure handbrake is applied fully, perhaps put a brick in the front of one of the wheels just in case.

Start engine, select first gear.

Do not release handbrake, observe the engine, now raise the clutch pedal to biting point and keep going until the engine revs drop, repeat a number of times in quick succession. If the engine is rocking excessively back and forward then a mount has failed, there will be some small movement but it should not be a lot. Try the same with reverse gear and see if its worse or better.

Alright Chaps,

Mannyo, i did as you suggested and got the missus to film the engine. It seems to my eye at least that there is quite a bit of movement from the engine, I've uploaded the video below and would welcome any thoughts:

http://vid1179.photobucket.com/albums/x388/cwood_85/engine4_zps60eb6fc4.mp4

Cheers

• Like 1