DLRs v Sidelights on VRS = MOT failure

Looking for some advice. 

Octavia VRs 2011 - just put it in for it's MOT and it's failed on front sidelights not functioning.

Bulbs and fuse all fine - and I dont think there's a electrical problem.  I believe it's designed this way as the DLR's come on - but tester didnt accept this.

Elsewhere I've found reference to DLR's being the sidelights on the VRS, but I could do with evidence to back this up as VOSA dont seem to have notes on this.

Ridiculous situation where as there's a bulb present, it's failed it's MOT - but I think  it's a standard headlamp set, and the DLRs are used instead.

Anyone got words of wisdom.

• Like 1

Your MOT tester is a plank.

On the vRS the LED DRL's dim to perform the role of side lights.

The side light bulbs in the headlights have bulbs in them to fill the holes, as these are the same headlights used on the non-vRS Octavia's. They aren't wired up.

Back to the MOT test centre for an apology and a pass certificate!

• Like 3

Pretty sure there's been a topic or two about this before and you are correct in what you say. All the "hardware" is there for the sidelights, but they're not actually wired in. Get in touch with Skoda and get written proof that the DRL's function as sidelights.

Looking for some advice.

Octavia VRs 2011 - just put it in for it's MOT and it's failed on front sidelights not functioning.

Bulbs and fuse all fine - and I dont think there's a electrical problem. I believe it's designed this way as the DLR's come on - but tester didnt accept this.

Elsewhere I've found reference to DLR's being the sidelights on the VRS, but I could do with evidence to back this up as VOSA dont seem to have notes on this.

Ridiculous situation where as there's a bulb present, it's failed it's MOT - but I think it's a standard headlamp set, and the DLRs are used instead.

Anyone got words of wisdom.

Bulbs in headlamps (W5W) are not functioning like a side light on vRS FL, LEDs in bumper are used as DRLs and side light (dimming).

Standard OEM set up... ;)

Ok, thanks for all the constructive advice on this.  I did find a post that was similar, but it didnt suggest how to convince the tester that it was correct  - or what to hit the him with to get him to do his job properly.

He doesnt accept my word on it, so I've pointed them at Skoda main dealer, and they're happy to put them straight.

So hopefully it will be resolved very quickly now.

What I find so bizarre is that this is the standard setup for the vehicle, so why dont the testers know  about this?  Surely my car isnt the first they've done? 

Mines had two MOT and passed first time both times. Though I put mine it at my local dealer so I guess they must know what they are doing!

I've heard this before with other cars, interesting I wonder how the fiat 500 would pass as that has no side light option on the stalk!

Thanks again all.  To be honest the MOT only cost £21 so kinda should of expected **** to happen.

However, after I pointed them at someone at Skoda main dealer, the problem went away and they gave me the cert.  I've never come across this before, so you live and learn.

• Like 1