DSG reluctant to change up from 3rd to 4th

On 09/07/2017 at 15:52, chiglee said:

Hi, just joined & hope it's not ok for me to on here to ask about my vw touran dsg problem?

i have the same problem, my dsg not changing into 4th at 25mph, it works fine for the first 15 minutes or so.

its a facelift 2010 vw touran with 55000 miles 

when you say hub ? What are you referring to ?

cheers, lee

The wheel bearings have speed/abs pick up rings on them.

They have sensors also and the cheapest to change 1st is the sensor.

But if your garage knows what they doing they can pin point the fault like I did.

On 07/09/2017 at 15:52, chiglee said:

its a facelift 2010 vw touran with 55000 miles 

7 years is about right for the hub to rust causing the abs ring to start to detach from the hub, unfortunately there is no way to replace the ring on its own, it's been my experience that if you need to replace the sensor to use a genuine one as ghe  cheap ebay ones don't last,

• 3 months later...

I have just had the same issue with my Octavia TDI with the DSG box.  It was having a hard time selecting the correct gear and holding onto gears for far to long. At first I suspected the gearbox needed an oil change but then, after a few days I had an ABS warning light come on. This caught my attention and after a quick scan, I discovered rear left ABS signal was intermittent.  It is a little strange but the bad sensor was having a bad effect on the DSG but initially was not bad enough to set an ABS code. I decided to replace the sensor and the bearing which has the tone ring built in. Hay presto, the TSG issue disappeared and the day was saved.   So, the moral of the story is, a TSG fault may not always be a fault in the gearbox, scan your ABS system.

Is yours a 1.6 TDI with 7 Speed DSG. 

or a 2.0 TDI with 6 speed wet DSG that has a Oil change schedule @ 40,000 miles..

If a 7 speed DQ200, did your DSG require the Service Campaign '34F7' to change the Synthetic oil to mineral & do a Software Update and was that done,

sticker in the spare tyre well beside the VIN sticker should show.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

This VIN checker is not to be trusted though.

Or if a 2013 build maybe Service Campaign '34H5'  a software update as required by some DQ200, 2013-2015.

EDIT. PS

I see now, a Superb 100 Edition so a 1.9TDI,  no idea what DSG that has though.

Edited by AwaoffSki

• 2 years later...

Hey,

Sorry i was just looking only and I see that you guys have a similar problem than me, however my car instead of not using 4 gear is not changing to 6 gear, but and stays into 5 gear all the way.

However if I release my feat from the gas sometimes it will go into 6 sometimes no as actually is having a hard time changing into 5 was well.

If you guys have any answers I will appreciat.

I have a Seat Leon FR 2016.     2.0TDI.

I know this is a SKODA forum but I'm really starting to get crazy thinking I need to buy a new gear box.

Any way tks have a great one.

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem; not changing up from 3rd with the DSG box; turned out it was the speed sensors on the rear hubs were totaly rusted; not enough to bring up a code on the VAG or a light on the dash but enough to confuse the gearbox with mixed signals. New hubs and sensors has cured the problem completely and i have nice new wheel bearing as well £250 lighter but piece of mind

• 9 months later...

I had this exact problem on my 2008 Mk 2 Superb, and thanks to this thread, I was able to get it fixed at my local motor engineers whom I always use, at a very reasonable price. What a delight to be driving around with the gears changing up nicely again!