Dipping vs Full Respray

Have been looking into prices of a full respray since am now moving onto the final stage of my little project, which is full body kit and colour change.

Am at least having the bonnet dipped in carbon fibre, but after a little research on this Dipping is starting to look like a cheep and effective alternative to respraying the entire car, looking at costs after purchasing the kit I want, fitting and full colour change respray adds up to around £2500 no more than £3000, where as Dipping would cost under £1000 and that includes the bonnet which is getting dipped anyway.

Am failing to see the downside to Dipping over a respray, the only concern I really have about it is with it been classed as "temporary colour change" since the overlay can be removed and returned to its original paintwork, how robust is the job going to be done over the entire car?

the questions I really have are,

1. Will you be able to tell the difference after dipping from a real paint job?

2. How long can I expect the effects to last, will is start fading or pealing away after a year or so, or will it be less able to withstand normal road use chips etc over prolonged periods.

and just concerned that if I have it dipped I will be back a year or so later wishing I had it resprayed in the first place, can anyone offer any advise.

plasti dip I think, however is one option better than the other, I know its a spray on solution that's applied over the original paintwork and apparently if nothing else helps to reserve the original paintwork, at least as far as the main bodywork goes, the carbon fibre bonnet would be applied differently in the form of a roll sheet stretched over the bonnet and cut to shape round the edges.

The bonnet alone cost around £120 so its really cheep considering its affect against respraying the entire body panel, and £1000 to spray cover the entire car is unbelievable value against a full colour change body respray, so it concerns me that this cheep option will not end up looking as good or be as maintainable when washing / driving etc in the long term as you would get from a body shop with a full respray, hence will it be just £1000 flushed down the toilet a year or so from now if I take this option?

Plasti dip should last a good couple of years. £1000 is quite a lot though, you can get it done for under £500.

It's a cheap way of changing colour and as it's a kind of rubbery substance should withstand a few stone chips.

Down side is that its a textured matte finish.

High use areas may peel/ be damaged sooner.

It can be peeled off so don't upset anyone :D

• Like 1

It looks good for about a week. .

Then it shrinks and tightens showing panel gaps/joints.

Its basically a thin rubber coating so holds grime and crap on. .

Cant use normal microfibres coz it leaves loads of fibres behind,because its grippy.

Nearly all uk applications ive seen,when they peel the dip there is lacquer dammage. . . Its only really the people in the states that seem to have it down to a fine art (maby because uk firms are using a cheaper rip off version of it)

Plastidip will never outweigh a proper paint finish no matter how much cheaper it is imo.

• Like 3

Unless your stevie wonder. . Yes. . There is a huge difference.

Dip is slightly textured(depends how good the people applying it are) and its a matte finish.

Even with the fancy pearls you can now add to the dip. . Its still matte.

• Like 1

Have been looking into prices of a full respray since am now moving onto the final stage of my little project, which is full body kit and colour change.

Am at least having the bonnet dipped in carbon fibre, but after a little research on this Dipping is starting to look like a cheep and effective alternative to respraying the entire car, looking at costs after purchasing the kit I want, fitting and full colour change respray adds up to around £2500 no more than £3000, where as Dipping would cost under £1000 and that includes the bonnet which is getting dipped anyway.

Am failing to see the downside to Dipping over a respray, the only concern I really have about it is with it been classed as "temporary colour change" since the overlay can be removed and returned to its original paintwork, how robust is the job going to be done over the entire car?

2. How long can I expect the effects to last, will is start fading or pealing away after a year or so, or will it be less able to withstand normal road use chips etc over prolonged periods.

and just concerned that if I have it dipped I will be back a year or so later wishing I had it resprayed in the first place, can anyone offer any advise.

my m8 painted mine inside and out including wheel furb for £800 depends who you know really

Why not Vinyl wrap instead, some experts can do the entire car and its certainly more effective as a long term than rubber paint - probably not a lot between plastic dip and vinyl cost.

Why not Vinyl wrap instead, some experts can do the entire car and its certainly more effective as a long term than rubber paint - probably not a lot between plastic dip and vinyl cost.

my m8 had his bmw wrapped white originally silver cost £2200 you don't have to send logbook off for colour change either

my m8 had his bmw wrapped white originally silver cost £2200 you don't have to send logbook off for colour change either

If they wrap inside the door shuts etc (full vinyl colour change), you do.

Edited by vrs'burks

Vinyl wrap is not a good medium term solution let alone long term.  2 years is about it before UV degradation starts setting in. It's false economy. It is also way less durable longer term than a decent paint finish.  Get some quotes, shop around and get a decent paint job IF it needs painting at all.  Otherwise money'd be better spend elsewhere on car maybe?  It seems a shame to spend so much time and energy on getting something special out of your project then wrapping your car in plastic.