Fabia vrs starting issues?

Hello all, hopefully someone can help with the issue I am having, I've looked through the forum but cannot see to find anything.

Last February went out on a cold morning and the car started fine. I left it running for about 10 minutes. When I went out the pas light was on and steering was heavy (I have had this before and would rectify when the engine was turned off and back on) his time though I turned it off and the car wouldn't start again, like the battery was flat. Once jump started it was fine and has been up until this week.

A few days ago I stopped at a service station after driving for around 40 miles. When I came back out I had the same issue without the pas light though. And bump started fine.

Now today I started the engine, the pas light came on and the heavy steering was back. Turned the engine off and then attempted to switch it in again but to no avail? Any ideas what this could be?

Sorry for the long story!

Cheers

Have you measured the voltage across the terminals with the engine running as it could be related to a dying battery or rectifier fault?  With engine running, voltage should measure 14.6 or thereabouts.  With engine stopped and left overnight you should have around 12.4 to 12.6 volts (although you have a constant drain when left connected). If not, could be insufficient voltage issues.  Other than that, best taken to a garage to have the fault codes read which might point towards another fault.

Thanks for the advice will test the voltage when I get chance.

It's really strange fault. Just out the jump leads on and it started within seconds. So the battery didn't need much charge. But then the radio lost all its settings bizarrely.

Will check the load sensor too.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest,

Car been fine since the last fault, running all day yesterday. Colder morning this morning, go out and doesn't start. Managed to jump start it. Turned in the lights to set off to work and alot of the dash lit up (pas, handbrake flashig, abs, and a couple of others!) and then died. Jumped started again straight away and the same again.

Took out battery and the load wire seems in good condition. Not checked battery voltage as cannot find my multimeter. Checking it later once I get hold of one.

Does anyone have any ideas?