stain on wheels - how do i get rid?

laff82

Lively in here this morning! thanks as always for the guidance.

I'll risk the SRP after a good shake, its not like I'll be applying it to the entire car. I assume the abrasives will be present even if the formula has spoiled, but I'm not a petrochemist so could well be talking out of my hat?

I've also got the liquid gold (paintcleaner-light polish) used for the rest of the car, and if they and the spot hit of Trix doesnt work then i know where to come. There was mention of clay earlier in the thread, which I dont currently have, am I right in thinking if the steps above dont work than the clay probably wont?

Thanks for the warning on the Acid type cleaners, I had meant one of the acid free ones just spot applied and agitated at the high end of the recommended concentrations, but very much appreciate your diligence all the same.

How did you get on laff82?

so, tackled the wheels today

quick apc wipe of all 4 wheels, followed by then a quick hit of trix, including dwell time and a spot hit of a soaked cotton bud right into the corner.  When agitated into the corner it can out a little brown so must have been bringing something off but too slowly.  Or just may have been from the back of the wheel.

Next tried some autoglym tar remover on a mf cloth but no further improvement.

So shook the vintage SRP for a good minutes, and applied with a mf cloth.  This did make an impact on the stain (that i didnt get a decent picture of) but I couldnt get into the corner with enough quite well enough to make a proper dent.  Tried a little autosol thinking it may have been a touch stronger but again the awkward place of the stain made life difficult.

So moved up to the last weapon in the armoury ...

2enc308.jpg

one of those things in the garage that no-one remembers buying. but vaguely remembered it being labelled as a brake dust remover.  It looks more aggressive than I would normally like to use, but figured that i could polish out any light scratches out afterwards and the stain ruins the look of the alloy anyway.

Dribbled a little more srp and a tiny dab of autosol on the edge and gently worked it into the corner.  looked like it was making an impact so continued with the elbow grease for a minute or two more and the stain had pretty much gone.  Repeated for the other spot stains, washed the rest of the car, applied a little tyrekote to the tyres, BSD to the wheels and end results....

34dl9p3.jpg

2wgtc35.jpg

n47bzc.jpg

2ah5y1h.jpg

2my6gds.jpg

w9e3jq.jpg

Thanks for the advice gents result achieved. I'll have to take them off and do them properly including the insides one day, but not today.

• Like 1