Seat belt buckle rattle

Mph25

I have had my Superb for a few weeks and been driven mad by a rattle. Spent 2 days in the workshop - came out worse than when it went in,

I now reckon it's the seat belt buckles.

Any thoughts?

The front passenger belt rattles when the seat is occupied by slim person. Those of more generous proportions seem to apply enough pressure at a straighter angle to stop metal blade rattling in socket. Dealer could "not find fault" so it remains

I have had my Superb for a few weeks and been driven mad by a rattle. Spent 2 days in the workshop - came out worse than when it went in,

Any thoughts?

If they're banging the sides of the seat moulding, damp them with felt pads as suggested elsewhere?
  • Like 1

The front passenger belt rattles when the seat is occupied by slim person. Those of more generous proportions seem to apply enough pressure at a straighter angle to stop metal blade rattling in socket. Dealer could "not find fault" so it remains

That's good; we won't have any problems when SWMBO's in the passenger seat!  And I won't have any problems with SWMBO as she never looks at this website!

Any thoughts?

Here, here. Had a Ford Fiesta as a courtesy car for 3 days and there wasn't a single rattle or squeak during the 200 miles I drove it. As soon as I drove off in the Superb again, there it was rattle, rattle. Sounds like it is from behind the radio but we all know these fiends are notoriously tricky to find. Thanks for the suggestions of the seatbelts, will check those later. Must have pressed and held every panel in the car by now to no avail. :envy:

Now that you mention it the rattle is worse than when no one is in the passenger seat.

Good news is that it's probably just one single rattle.

Once sorted we'll have lovely blissful silence. That's what hapened when I got the dreaded left hand side dash rattle sorted in my Octavia 2 anyhow.

Happy rattle hunting :yes:

Edited by Stinker

My front buckles already have felt tape wrapped around them, not sure when this was done though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine do as well but I need to put some extra in as I have the exact same issue when slimmer passengers are on board, they are not filling the seat and I get a creaking noise. After cars have been and manufactured they are often driven to test obvious faults and rattles - I'm guessing that this is one of the things that showed up. It's the same with soundproofing, that's why you will find bits of foam etc tucked into panels. I do notice that Skoda actually listen (sometimes) to customers' gripes and take action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine have done that since new. Drove me nuts. I have now stuffed a bit of foam from a sponge between the belts and the side of the seats. The different angles it creates has stopped it. Should not be necessary on a modern car though.

• Like 1

It's the tongue of the belt in the buckle rather than the buckle against the seat. So flaming annoying though!

It's the tongue of the belt in the buckle rather than the buckle against the seat. So flaming annoying though!

I agree is oohing to so with the buckle hitting the seat, it just the bit of foam alters the angle so the metal clasp sits at a slightly different angle in the clasp - the rattle stops. 

What about a layer of tape around the metal of the tonge, electrical insulating tape maybe. This works a treat on the metal ring the rear seat backs lock in to on most cars if they are squeaking. Takes up a bit of slack and damps the whole thing.

I agree is oohing to so with the buckle hitting the seat, it just the bit of foam alters the angle so the metal clasp sits at a slightly different angle in the clasp - the rattle stops.

I'll try that! :)