No service book

pee81

So as some of you may know I bought a new vrs a few months back and today I noticed that there was no service book, is this common practice when buying a new fabia now or am I best getting in touch with my dealer to get one sent out?

No service book in my new Superb (June)

Dealer said they no longer put them in cars, you get a wallet (sort off) which explains the service schedules etc with a pocket at the back, to put, in theory the service receipts in...  Suppose that is the same as stamping a book really :)

Got mine with my car back in Jan (none Skoda dealer). They serviced it and stamped book. When I spoke with skoda on the phone the other day, they only had the two previous services from skoda main dealers obviously on system but not the service from dealers I got it from.

Can't see the issue with giving someone a service book? Every car comes with one from new doesn't it?

Got mine with my car back in Jan (none Skoda dealer). They serviced it and stamped book. When I spoke with skoda on the phone the other day, they only had the two previous services from skoda main dealers obviously on system but not the service from dealers I got it from.

Can't see the issue with giving someone a service book? Every car comes with one from new doesn't it?

Not now. all central computer you get just a wallet

So for services at a non-Skoda franchised dealer the only proof of service is the invoice?

If I were buying your car, I would prefer invoices over stamps in a book. The book can be faked as one member found out, the garage that had stamped the book did not even exist and neither did the town.

Invoices can be faked of course as well, but you have things like VAT numbers, card receipts stapled etc. I have the invoices for my Audi, just keep them in an A4 Folio with the car paperwork

VW group are phasing out service books, some others already have. In a modern world they serve no real purpose.

• Like 1

Mine has a service book and I think it gives confidence that the previous owner has taken the trouble to get it stamped at the correct time and the fact a reputable garage would have used the correct oil and service parts not to mention traceability of the cars past history. Most important on the VRS with its issues and service campaigns. Although the service campaign work on my car was only given as a confirmation sheets rather than updating the service book.

Mine has a service book and I think it gives confidence that the previous owner has taken the trouble to get it stamped at the correct time and the fact a reputable garage would have used the correct oil and service parts not to mention traceability of the cars past history. Most important on the VRS with its issues and service campaigns. Although the service campaign work on my car was only given as a confirmation sheets rather than updating the service book.

As Mannyo said, I think seeing the invoice is better than a stamp in the book, invoices stand more chance of being genuine than a stamp in a book :) on the other hand as also stated providing the dealer does there job correctly then all the history is on the Skoda central system... for instance, when I purchased my Superb in June, D.M.Keith in York logged the sale with Skoda... When I had the AC fan issue on holiday in Wales 2 weeks later (see post in Superb section) the dealer in Wales even knew I had purchased the IPod lead for the MDI interface...  

The purpose they serve is and was when you do not Main Dealer Service and your car is possibly out of Warranty.

Your Non Franchised Dealer Can Stamp the book.

Yes Books can be faked.

But then Main Dealers can input that a car is Serviced and the Oil Filter or Filter and Oil was not changed.

Or as is happening things are not inputted on the Computer and the Data Base is wrong.

Skoda do not even seem to know from the factory what serious of DSG Boxes have Synthetic Oil in.

So the Service Books are gone in an Attempt to get Buyers / Owners to have Main Dealer Servicing.

As Skoda UK Customer Services or the Dealer to Provide a Service Book, with the PDI Date etc on it.

Or if you trust Skoda & Main Dealers & the Computer System, do not bother.

Collected a new Octavia III at the end of Jan which had a cardboard 'service' wallet with it, this was empty bar the option code sticker.

The replacement new Spaceback collected from another dealer 6 months later was a bit better, as the wallet also contained a printout of the PDI inspection.

Mind that didn't prove a lot, as within days of collecting the car I had to take it to my local dealer. It started asking for a oil service because the supplying dealer hadn't set the indicator correctly on PDI :giggle:

TP

• Like 1