Approved repairer woes

Armegatron

Anyone following the Facebook version of Briskoda will already know I've had some issues with an approved repairer (who at present will remain un-named). I'm looking for some advice on how best to proceed...

Skoda UK customer services have been kept in the loop at all times and has often acted as mediator when defects occurred, pressuring the repairer to take the issues seriously. 

1. Skoda approved replacement of tailgate due to defect at the seam.

2. Local dealer took collection of my vehicle and provided loan car.

3. My car was returned with damage where the gas strut upon replacing the tailgate seemed to have caught the bodywork. Also there was a bubble in the paint. This was made apparent to the dealer immediately. 

4. Dealer arranged for me to deal directly with local approved repairer that was rectifying their previous work.

5. Repairer collected my car, carried out the work and returned it. The paint on the repair had black marks (on a candy white car) and overspray local to the repair. The car was immediately rejected and returned to the repairer.

6. Repairer contacted me and foreman assured me the car was repaired to an OEM standard. 

7. Received the car. While the work they were addressing was up to standard there were significant issues with overspray to the whole car including exhaust and wheels. A chip was also apparent on the new and freshly painted tailgate in the area of the repair. Furthermore the spoiler had a rough texture and poor paint finish. The repairer denied doing anything to the spoiler when twice challenged on this. 

8. Dashcam footage shown the repairer had a collision in my car where an object struck the spoiler and tailgate (hence the chip). The spoiler was repainted with the left over paint while in situ on the car, hence the poor quality repair.

9. The garage accepted responsibility when challenged with dashcam footage. The garage agreed to rectify the faults and provided a top up to my diesel tank as a good will gesture. The garage refused to pay for a detail to correct the overspray but instead offered to Gardx the car and provide a certificate assuring it would be the same quality as the detailer as they believed the detailer was charging too much. 

10. An additional point was made that the tailgate was misaligned and was allowing water ingress into the boot in large quantities. This was also on the agenda to be repaired. 

11. The garage returned my vehicle with two original defects outstanding - overspray remains on the wheel, windows, exhaust and tail light. The tailgate remains mis aligned making it difficult to shut the boot. New problems are also present in that the Skoda badge is poorly mounted with damage and doublesided tape visible. The Octavia and VRS badges are on the wrong sides and are wonky. There is damage to the mudguards and the rear wiper arm has clearcoat splashed on it. Polish residue is also stuck onto the wheels and in nooks and crannies. The spoiler also has a slight orange peel effect to it and while the repair to the untrained eye looks reasonable I feel my car went in with an OEM in tact spoiler and has come out differently. 

12. Skoda have their hands tied as this is the only approved repairer in the area, but may be able to send the car out of area to be resolved. 

So - who is responsible? Skoda UK or the approved repairer? 

I'm looking to take small claims court action to recover costs to put right the faults if Skoda can't come good however as I didn't pay for the original repair I'm worried this would muddy the waters, unless I were to claim against Skoda UK? 

I'm due a call from Skoda UK tomorrow and as I say they have been helpful but I'm getting frustrated now that an approved can get it so wrong and I'm still not satisfied with the quality of the work. I'm not wanting to prejudice any outcome that may happen so I've left the details out of the post but once settled will likely be posting the video, images and company name. 

• Like 1

That is just terrible :( Please confirm the details of the bodyshop to ensure no one else here has the misfortune to use them!

Edited by favguy

I read this that Skoda were replacing or repairing the original tailgate as opposed to the car having been involved in an accident?

If so My lawyer wife says that Skoda is liable. Your contract is with them and not the approved repairer.

Rest assured I will. I wish I'd never contacted skoda uk and had the first lot of work done or just accepted the 1st repair as the best it'd get. Stupidly I kept thinking they were able to do a decent job but it has been mistake after mistake. The dishonesty has been the worst part. Had I not had the dashcam I'd have been screwed. The garage did tape up the camera when they knew of the existence of it at the last visit however the camera was a decoy and a 2nd camera caught the manager who was handling the work with the foulest language, saying effectively I was making a fuss over nothing and making out the spoiler wasn't that bad. In my opinion if I noticed the repair without the video being reviewed first then it wasn't a good enough repair.

Ratboy - the repair was indeed to rectify a corrosion / paint / structural defect (I have not seen the independent report other than I know his recommendations were to replace the tailgate). Skoda have paid their approved repairer for the work and it is the repairer that I have grievance with but I'm losing patience with the whole process.

Rest assured I will. I wish I'd never contacted skoda uk and had the first lot of work done or just accepted the 1st repair as the best it'd get. Stupidly I kept thinking they were able to do a decent job but it has been mistake after mistake. The dishonesty has been the worst part. Had I not had the dashcam I'd have been screwed. The garage did tape up the camera when they knew of the existence of it at the last visit however the camera was a decoy and a 2nd camera caught the manager who was handling the work with the foulest language, saying effectively I was making a fuss over nothing and making out the spoiler wasn't that bad. In my opinion if I noticed the repair without the video being reviewed first then it wasn't a good enough repair.

i would also send the video of the approved repair manager swearing it up to Skoda too, taping up a camera certainly sets alarm bell ringing. It makes you wonder how these places become approved. I get the car to another place if i was you, it's on the Skoda dime as it were. Might be a bit of a pain in the short term doing that but better than many repeat attempts at a what would seem sub standard place.

• Like 1

i would also send the video of the approved repair manager swearing it up to Skoda too, taping up a camera certainly sets alarm bell ringing. It makes you wonder how these places become approved. I get the car to another place if i was you, it's on the Skoda dime as it were. Might be a bit of a pain in the short term doing that but better than many repeat attempts at a what would seem sub standard place.

Holding the footage of the managers antics as I'm not sure where that stands legally. To be honest it means nothing when compared to everything else that has happened too.

I've drafted a letter to the repairers managing director who used to work with a colleague of mine. I've been told the md would normally hate this kind of story as it could damage the company that he owns badly indeed. Letter is redacted of the details but is below and will be sent tomorrow after I hear from skoda uk, however judging by the previous comment here I really should address the letter to skoda uk?

http://pastebin.com/S5eTSm2f

I've also had confirmation from my detailer that a brand new VW Golf that arrived with a paint defect at a local VW dealer was sent to the same bodyshop for minor repairs. The vehicle was returned to customer with overspray, damaged front window trim and a dirty interior (0 mile car!!!). 

I'm trying to get in contact with the customer to arrange a VW / Skoda complaint about the approved VAG garage. 

Repairer is RMB Auto at Teesside

http://www.rmbauto.co.uk/bodyshop/

Full video is here

RMB PRESTIGE ACCIDENT REPAIR CENTRE FOR COMPLETE PEACE OF MIND. ITS YOUR CAR, ITS YOUR CHOICE!

At RMB Prestge Accident Repair centre, we are proud to be approved for most leading insurance companies. Being PAS 125, British Kitemark, VWG Approved and having Qualified ATA factory Technicians we will never forget the importance of the individual car owner.

At RMB only Approved Manufacturer Parts will be fitted, which will not invalidate any existing warranty to your vehicle. Our Approved Toyota, Lexus, Audi, Seat, Skoda and Volkswagen repair centre will make sure repairs are carried out to complex construction methods as per manufacturer specifications.

These repairs are carried out by highly qualified and approved ATA technicians that are approved to the manufacturer standard to offer peace of mind to you, as the vehicle owner. It is YOUR choice where you have your car repaired and NOT the insurance companies.

Our friendly and professional team are happy to help you and your vehicle offering free advice and a no obligation estimate, regardless of it being a fault/non fault claim.

It is important to remember that no matter who was at fault you hve the legal right to choose where your vehicle is repaired, RMB can offer replacement transport or a collection and delivery service to meet your needs whilst your vehicle is in for repair. For more information please contact a member of our team on 01642 808010, or complete the form below.

Skoda UK / RMB Auto and Derek Slack Motors have been contacted with my demands to put right the situation and have 14 days to respond before legal action is taken. 

The certification companies for RMB Auto will also be contacted including "ATA", "PAS 125", "British Kitemark"

Reviews will be placed on the following sites...

http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/garagefinder/rmb-toyota-1542.html

http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/garagefinder/derek-slack-motors-ltd-skoda-2337.html

https://www.facebook.com/RMBAutoparc/posts_to_page

https://www.facebook.com/rmbauto/info?ref=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RMB-Toyota/153625104672432?sk=reviews

If anyone knows of more review sites that would be appreciated. 

VW Lookers Teesside and Darlington will also be contacted to inform them, as one of their customers with a brand new Golf R has had a similar experience just this past week.

Transcript of the video:

"what did it catch"
"I don’t know I didn’t even f***ing notice it was there"
"*Inaudiable* spoiler
"And they don’t come off"
"f***ing nightmare eh"
"I don’t know what Im going to do"
"I could paint it with that couldn’t I"
"I don’t believe it"
"f***ing gutted man""DDon’tworry about it"
"I know I was trying to get stuff in and that I couldn’t even see"
"caught it slightly there (points to spoiler) a little line and that"
"what we'll do is get that underneath bit done "
"Yeah"
"and then we'll just do that *inaudiable* cos we cant take it off. We'll just have to *inaudiable* maybe"
"do it do it second"
"mask up round there and ""Yeah yeah we'll just do that bit"
"Will you be able to put a bit more in"
"Yeah of course I can yeah"
"As I say don’t worry about it"
" I got in here and I drove… bang"
"It caught there look"
"Can we not glue that back on"
"Just get that done on this side and then pull it back out *inaudiable*"
"Ill have some paint left "
"Its not what you want to do you know give yourself more work"
Edited by Armegatron

I can't understand why they couldn't have been honest with you about it in the first place. How hard is it to say. We have caught the spoiler and damaged the paint but will rectify it to your standard foc

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I can't understand why they couldn't have been honest with you about it in the first place. How hard is it to say. We have caught the spoiler and damaged the paint but will rectify it to your standard foc

Sent from my Galaxy S5

They claimed it was one new person acting alone to cover it up hence no paper work etc. Video clearly shows 3 people were aware of this issue. The sound would probably have alerted others in the workshop too. 

Would you believe they have asked for the car for another opportunity to put it right?!?! Erm, no. 

I'm a nice guy, so if I had a customers car that I (as a company) had been responsible for damaging and then covering it up then I'd bend over backwards to make that customer happy. Especially if he had a video of the event. IF I found out the customer had a baby boy while we had the car, I'd return the car to him with a card and flowers to say congratulations. Instead, the company gave the customer the car with more defects. 

I'm biting my tongue as there is plenty more I could tell you about this place, but as I'm going down the legal route I'm keeping some things back (including other footage). 

The dashcam footage will not be admissible as evidence unless you informed them or have a notice to state that you have a camera and it is recording, someone on another forum tried and it was thrown out.

The repair contract is with the dealer, not Skoda. The dealers are all franchises and they buy the cars from Skoda UK, that is the only involvement of Skoda UK apart from paying the dealers for work carried out under warranty.

Congratulations to you both on your baby boy

To me especially nowadays when customer service has to be gold plated and wrapped in diamonds as there is so much choice you need to ensure your customers new or old are well looked after. Card and flowers to me comes under the above as it's something beyond the norm.

Least they have now been named and shamed so others can avoid. Hopefully the professional bodies will come down harshly on them

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Sounds like the insurers guys that did more damage to my car then the lorry that hit it.

If you've got legal cover might be worth speaking to your insurance although they might consider that an admission of a non-fault claim.

When I had overspray they scraped it all off the rubbers with a blade and ruined them and buffed the spots so hard they burnt the paint elsewhere. I also had finger prints on plastic and rubbers and they damaged an alloy.

Drivers side of the car ended up getting sprayed 3x all for a scrape on the drivers door.

My layman's guess would be that the problem is Skoda's to sort or the dealers. The contract for the work is between Skoda/dealer and the bodyshop. They weren't commissioned by you to do the work.

I'd be pushing for a repair at a bodyshop of your choice and it would be up to Skoda/dealer to recover that from their bodyshop.

The letter you have posted seems well worded and shows you have been more than reasonable with you handling of this situation, you have given then ample attempts to fix the issues. What Mannyo said regarding the use of camera footage in court sounds completely logical but i would think it would strengthen you case to get the repair done somewhere else and should be purely used as a reference point for Skoda ( and not the courts) of the very poor way you have been looked after by this company, it clearly shows the incident and goes directly against what the company told you proving a cover-up as it were.

i hope all that makes sense, i does to me at least. 

The letter you have posted seems well worded and shows you have been more than reasonable with you handling of this situation, you have given then ample attempts to fix the issues. What Mannyo said regarding the use of camera footage in court sounds completely logical but i would think it would strengthen you case to get the repair done somewhere else and should be purely used as a reference point for Skoda ( and not the courts) of the very poor way you have been looked after by this company, it clearly shows the incident and goes directly against what the company told you proving a cover-up as it were.

i hope all that makes sense, i does to me at least. 

The footage in court would be pointless given I have an admission from them later that confirmed what had happened in agreement with the actions on the video (other than the 1 person claimed by them and the 3 on the video). 

The letter has been adjusted slightly to cover the provision of a loan car and a couple of other minor points. It appears the work may now be carried out at JTC600 in York, some 55 miles from me. It was suggested I could go there, and wait for the work to be done and drive home the same day. This I'm not happy with. I'm not taking more time out of work / paternity leave away from my new born Son and wife who is recovering from an operation so I can fix their problems. 

If anyone has experience of this garage / bodyshop I'd be keen to here from you...

http://www.jct600.co.uk/dealerships/volkswagen_york/

at least you have some movement in terms of garages, i certainly wouldn't be willing to wait around all day for them to fix all the issues and it's just me i have to be concerned with. Have they come back with a hire car suggestion yet as i would be inclined to take that option but then that still means quite a few hours lost. the best option in terms of time would be for them to move the car for you and delivery it to your house. They really should be helping you out as far a possible as you have been more than reasonable throughout the whole affair.

On a side note congratulations on having a son and i hope everyone involved is all ok.  

Thanks :) 10 days old already!! Was hoping his first trip from hospital would have been in my car as we'd used it as our wedding car :(

At least swmbos waters went in their courtesy car, kinda regret putting a towel under her now. Would have been sweet revenge!

• Like 2

Just an update to this...

I washed the car yesterday and found the bung on the rear wiper isn't sealed properly and is allowing water into the brand new tailgate. It was obvious this was a problem without even looking inside the car by the fact there was a large build up of condensation on the inside of the window around the bung. Opened the boot and took a look (because the plastic trim also hasn't been correctly clipped in) and could see loads of drips coming down. 

Again how an approved repairer can get it so wrong is beyond me!

Again how the cheapest tendering repairer can get it so wrong is beyond me!

Fixed that for you ;-)

When I was speaking to the delivery guy that was taking my car back to be butchered  repaired, he a a bit of a rant about how he was always getting shouted at by customers and how it wasn't his fault. I got the distinct impression that the repairs carried out by this 'approved' repairer were frequently if not usually substandard.

When I got it done properly the comment from that company was that it wasn't the worst repair they'd ever seen but it was close.

• 2 weeks later...

So I sent an email to the managing director of RMB Auto, Robert Bennett, and local Skoda dealer (who will remain nameless) on the 15/9/14 asking for a response within 14 days to my letter of complaint or I'd consider legal action to recoup costs. It is now the 5/10/14. Skoda UK have again been brilliant and have booked the car into a non-RMB chain repairer at Newcastle for alignment, replacement badges and leaking grommet to be looked at and are also footing the bill for a loan car.

In the mean time, the wheels and other parts are still covered in over spray and I've not heard anything back from RMB in way of apology or compensation offer. 

So I have two options, go down small claims route to recover costs to put right the over spray (a detail by my usual provider at a cost of £250) OR post the video and the associated details to RMB Auto's twitter, Facebook and review sites and see what happens. 

Regardless, Watchdog and the other programs of that type have all been contacted so we'll also see what happens there. 

I'd go for small claims on this one, you seem to have more than enough evidence from what you have posted on here I would think. Plus the fact Skoda UK have bent over backwards to help says a lot. Even if you did post to their facebook page and twitter account they could easily say you are just a peed of customer with an axe to grind and get round it to some respect, they might even be able to get it taken off there i suppose too.