Yeti Mk1 Amundsen+ Query

boff180

Hi guys,

My father has a Mk1 Yeti 4x4 2.0TDI which is still in warranty.

The head unit in the car is an Amundsen+ (it says it on the front) and the manual supplied is for an Amundsen+

Reading the manual tonight I've realised the Yeti Amundsen+ has DAB however, I have checked every single setting on the Head Unit and it definitely does not have DAB.

Is this a fault? Should we go to Skoda to get the Head Unit replaced? Or is it normal for the Amundsen+ not to have DAB?

I am aware the normal Amundsen doesn't have DAB however this headunit clearly has "Amundsen+" stamped on it as does the manual.

Thanks

Andy

Doesn't appear to have DAB at all, there is no option for DAB in the Band Menu, only FM and AM.

Edit yes it has Amundsen+ in white text in the middle above the CD slot

It is identical to this one:

tech-info-r03-navigation-system-amundsen

Edited by boff180

The Manual is written to cover all markets, and not all markets get the same equipment. That is why there is a nice little get-out clause written somewhere, along the lines of "not applicable in all markets"

The answer to your question has been covered, it depends on which model Yeti your father has. If it's an SE Plus like mine, then you don't get DAB as standard on the Amundsen unit. If it's a special edition Adventure or a factory specified upgrade from a Bolero, then it should have DAB, provided you're talking about Uk-specification cars. I don't think the + has any significance, other than it's a slightly newer model.

This is an SE that was spec'd up to eyeballs by the dealer as a demo car. The Amundsen+ was one of the dealer spec'd extras.

Even have heated seats that aren't leather which I find unusual!

Andy

Both of my 2013 yeti se plus had Amundsen+ radios.

Neither of them had DAB capable versions of the Amundsen+, nor the DAB capable roof aerial as the DAB option (£180 or so IIRC) wasn't selected at purchase.

So no, OP, it doesn't look like you have a fault.

I asked the same question when I bought mine over a year ago - it doesn't have DAB.

It'll be interesting to see if he can manage to update the maps on the sat-nav as well - I still haven't got it figured - neither has the dealer!

LOOK IN THE SETUP MENU ,LOOK FOR "ALTERNATE FREQUENCY". Amundsen+ does have DAB, just might not be enabled.

SE+ UK models are all advertised as having DAB

OK then, where does the DAB aerial fit then?

Following on a little more fully while i wait for the missus to get ready for work...

The Amundsen + came in both a DAB and non-DAB variant (the + indicating it was the later version with a hard drive rather than SD for the maps if I remember rightly)

The DAB variant was physically different in that it had a DAB aerial connector on the back of the unit and different back panel to accommodate it. I don't know if the DAB capability is a add-in board or a complete new set of internals.

The roof aerial has variants as well, some doing DAB, some GPS, some GSM (for GSM III) and combinations thereof.

The DAB option included fitting the DAB version of the radio and DAB version of the aerial and the necessary cabling.

Here's a Skoda Yeti 1 brochure showing the DAB upgrade to the SE plus as a £200 option - http://www.claybankmotorco.co.uk/downloads/brochure_yeti13.pdf

The "Alternate frequencies" that the OP mentions is a RDS feature for analogue radio whereby the radio will see if there is a stronger signal for the FM station that is being listened to on FM and switch to that if the current signal strength drops

When I was searching for a used Yeti and decided that I wanted DAB, it turned out that virtually no-one had specced it, which is why I've ended up spending around £400 to get the Alpine Ez-DAB with retrofitted DAB roof aerial and cables.

BTW, the new Radioplayer DAB looks interesting - http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/radioplayer_nextradioconf_press.pdf as it plans to be able to jump between FM, DAB/DAB+ and internet radio depending on signal strength and they are aiming for a fully fitted price of under £100

• Like 1

Can't honestly remember the original yeti brochure as I did not bother with the radio/sat nav options on that one but I still have the Octavia brochure and the current yeti brochure and they both clearly state Amundsen as HAVING DAB, not optional HAVING.

Not being a car audio expert I was under the impression that the shark fin was the DAB Arial from your comment I assume this is not the case.

I also assume that the FM signal was simply that and,wasn't actually labelled DAB FM. For example capital FM is 95.8,what is the DAB frequency.

Or to put it another way how the hell do you know if your receiving DAB anyway.

The current cars do have dab as standard I believe, but the earlier ones don't.

Simplest way to be sure is to try and listen to Radio 4 extra tomorrow morning. If you can, you've got DAB. Easy!

What he said!

DAB, being Digital has multiple stations using the same frequency so a frequency readout would be misleading. What does happen is that the Digital stations transmit a Station ID which is displayed on your radio screen.

Fred