To tune or not to tune

howellj1989

So I have a 2004 fabia vrs which I've owned for 2 years now. Egr blanked and a supposed remap by previous owners. It's pretty tatty and my wife uses it for the family. but basically I'm going to be selling my mx5 as can't be trusted with a RWD and was thinking of buying my wife a car with the money from the mx5 and modding the fabia. It's on 120k what are people opinions on whether I should go down the route or is it too far into his life. I'm thinking fmic hybrid ect?

Thanks

James

The best bang for buck in my opinion would be a PD150 turbo and a map. You'd see approximately 190bhp, and providing your clutch is in good order and you got a low torque map you'd be fine for moderate use. Of course, there are other considerations that come into play- if you wanted to track it for instance you'd certainly require an FMIC.

Furthermore, if you're upping the power you'd want to consider better brakes (312mm ones for instance), better handling (springs/dampers or coilovers, RARB etc) and so on. Its a slippery slope! All depends on your end goal, intended usage and budget.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if the 120k standard clutch will cope with hybrid power, surely you'd be better served by spending some of that money on making it un-tatty and having the supposed remap checked by a reputable source before you start spending in earnest on tuning, you're talking about spending thousands in order to get 200bhp reliably once you consider all the supporting mods.

I ran my MK1 fabia in a mild state of tune, +/-172bhp from around 40k miles right upto 120k miles when the standard turbo went pop.

I too had reservations about going hybrid, FMIC etc at that stage, but was reassured by my tuner of choice.

Opted in and ended up running 202bhp and I sold the car to another member on here T.Spark with 153k on the clock, and last I heard it had passed 170k and still pulls 200bhp on the rollers.

IMHO religious maintenance is the key to longevity with the PD engine.

My PD105 in the Roomster is pushing 98k and likely won't see a hybrid until passing 100k.

I think the price of 200bhp has reduced dramatically over the last few years and I would guesstimate at being able to get to those numbers for circa £2.5k.

Thanks guys. Is it worth tuning an engine with 120k on it though?

The mileage doesn't really mean much taken in isolation, the engines are strong, reliable and long-lived if well looked after. A 120k engine with a full dealer history is entirely different from a 120k engine with little or no history and a recent record of abuse and neglect. Only you can really answer your own question.

Thanks guys. Is it worth tuning an engine with 120k on it though?

I bought my vrs standard on 116k and currently running a 1756 at around 235bhp with 132k although ive got head gasket failure I couldn't imagine it with just a map now :)

If you plan on keeping the car long term then yes it's worth it. So long as the history is sound and you've always used the correct oil I can't see you having any issues engine wise.

All depends how far you want to go, I find the handling and brakes pretty poor in standard form so that's where my attention would go first before adding any more power. With the mileage chances are some of the suspension components such as bushes/struts could be getting tired.

Power wise it all depends what you want to achieve and how much money you want to put into it.

Tune

im on 125k now. Think was around 70 k when I bought it standard. Ive slowly uprated througg turbos.

now im running. Full stainless custom exhaust. Fmic from an evo with 60/63mm pipework. Hybrid turbo with oversized billet wheel. And mapped up. About 210bhp dependant on temperature and fuel.

and touch wood ive never touched the flywheel and clutch. Althoguh ive fitted uprated head bolts to help the head out and replaced belt and water pump.

My to do list is cam and injectors late this year/early nect year