To the Dark Side

Devil's Chariot

Well after all the chat about "what will tempt you out of your Yeti" I'm afraid I have been lured by the dark side! Reggie has gone off to earn a living as the bird control van at an airfield and I have been re-allocated a Tiggywinkle :devil:

It has been fun on this forum and most educational, especially in the year before I acquired Reggie - certainly helped me make my mind up about wanting a Yeti.

I'm going to be hanging around for a while as I'll be looking for a Citigo soon (to teach the kids to drive in).

Wish I'd kept my Yeti ...

You would have had to cancel the new caravan! 

But you've diplomatically not said why the Tig is disappointing.  Might we persuade you?  It might be helpful to another member sometime. 

I'm "going the other way" and trading my Tiguan for a Yeti. I'm really looking forward to something a little more compact with a tighter turning circle.

I've never loved a car as much as the Tig, and I've had more than I'll admit to, but got so p155ed off with sunroof problems (need a fourth one already) I decided to change (after only 18 months).

It's a shame you don't live nearer as I'd do you a special deal on my winter tyres which are too wide for the Yeti (and the leasing company does't want me to use them.)!!

You would have had to cancel the new caravan! 

But you've diplomatically not said why the Tig is disappointing.  Might we persuade you?  It might be helpful to another member sometime. 

Dull, dull, DULL!

Apart from that, economy not so good, gear ratios higher so more gear changing, no heated screen option, very expensive in comparison to the Yeti but not as much kit, poor dealer network, oh and did I say DULL!

The Yeti 170 DSG would just have been heavy enough for the new 'van .... should have gone for that.

You live and learn!

I had a Tiguan for 2 weeks when my Yeti was having the front repaired and i was so glad to give it back.

Fuel consumption wasn't as good, boot seemed smaller, interior was bland, and worst of all, it had a bloody electronic handbrake!!!!!!

I didn't really start this thread to spark off a Yeti vs Tiguan willy-waving contest but having read some of the comments I feel it appropriate to chuck in my two bob's worth. These are personal opinions based on what I want from a car and comparisons are made based on 23 months / 56k miles in Reggie vs 2 weeks and 1k miles in Tiggywinkle :devil:

• I'm now driving a 140PS 6 spd whereas before it was 170PS 6 spd: yes this Tiguan feels a lot slower off the mark and you do have to change up gears much later e.g. into 6th at 40 in the Yeti vs 50 in the Tiguan
  • The steering in the Yeti felt sharper, was lighter at slow speeds and the turning circle felt much smaller
  • Economy wise, Yeti was doing 47-48 mpg before all 4 tyres were changed from Pirellis to Michelins in July and it dropped dramatically to 41-43mpg; the Tiguan is doing 47mpg so far on local runs whilst shod with Conti 4x4 M+S boots.
  • Electronic handbrake plus hill hold is a real boon in stop-start traffic; it works very well on this model (unlike on my previous 2 Passats).
  • Boot size is bigger and more useable as all 3 rear seats slide forward (unlike the Yeti where only the outer 2 do).
  • Dull? Not sure what is meant by this? Yes it is slower off the mark but I just adjusted my driving style accordingly. The interior is dark (it is black) compared to the Yeti's Gobi colour scheme but I do have to say the Tiguan is bolted together much better and so far I have none of the annoying rattles and squeaks that plagued the Yeti.
  • Things I really miss already - not having the bendy Xenons; the light output of the Tiguan's halogen bulbs is pretty poor and will hopefully be sorted by upgraded bulbs before too much longer. Anything else, errrm - no not really.
  • Things I may miss - all the handy hooks in the boot, the electrically adjustable seats and the cheeky looks of the original Yeti, the Off-Road button and Hill Descent Control
  • Things I like about the Tiguan - despite both being on 17" wheels the ride in the Tiguan is definitely more "refined"; less road or wind noise, less direct transmission of bumps etc to me poor old back! The bigger, more useable boot space and the EPB / Auto-hold

So, overall not a lot to choose between the two. I really loved my Yeti but the Tiguan is rapidly growing on me! At the end of the day these are both company cars, the tax burden is no different but I get a car that is slightly younger, (seems to) cost less to run, has fewer miles on the clock and will be more suitable for family holidays. As I said at the beginning, not a "yah boo sucks to you" post but a comparison based on personal experience and needs. :devil:

Had a 170SE 6 Speed Tiguan funded by my old Company. Paid myself for a 140SE DSG Yeti.

I think the above is a fair summary.....but the Yeti suits me so I'm happy. My Yeti is about 2mpg better than the Tiguan but the comparison is worthless as now I do under half the annual mileage.