When is a full service a full service?

notyeti

There was nothing like a "rubber bellows" in the cap on my brake fluid reservoir. I was thinking maybe it was another ploy by the garage trying to make it sound as if only they could do it.

The fluid is hygroscopic in that it absorbes water from a damp atmosphere which has the potential under heavy braking to cause that water to boil/steam and give a soft pedal and allow corrosion in the piston bores which can damage the delicate rubber piston seals causing fluid loss. (a suction device at the bleed nipples will avoid pushing the piston seal into a potentially corroded region that the seal normally never reaches - my preferred method)

Just like anti-freeze/corrosion inhibitor renewal, it's what makes makes a car reliable in the long term along with the more obvious oil/filter job.

I haven't checked under the cap of mine to see what is there as is pretty new .......and now looking at the new Outdoor.

It's a similar thing to watches. If you give your mechanical watch to someone for a full service you can pretty much expect all seals and gaskets to be checked and replaced, the movement to be stripped, oiled and checked, then regulated so it keeps good time, they will usually clean the bracelet and case and, if required, replace or polish the crystal. Now, let's assume this is a dive watch with a WR depth rating of say, 300m – you would, quite rightly IMO, assume that after your full service the watch was safe to take diving.

I learned the hard way that this isn't the case when my Artego 500m dive watch failed after snorkeling in France just after it had a full service. I complained to the repairer but he simply replied, "You didn't ask for it to be pressure tested". WTF? It's a 500m-rated dive watch so if you've given it the full service treatment I would expect this simple test to be part of that service, not an extra.

And this is where the brake fluid similarity comes in, the watch will not always be pressure tested to check it's resistance to water pressure at the required depth, in the same way your car service price will not always include the recommended brake fluid change.

It's a lesson learned and you move on, armed with the knowledge for future dealings :sun:

Problem is Jigger, we are constantly learning, it never stops. And still get caught out.

Even at retirement age we are still learning, you would have thought by now we would have covered all the angles.

But, re the Brake Fluid. I used to test this on every service, and by the far majority of cases it didn't need doing.

I then got into the habit of changing the Fluid when fitting new brake pads.

Why the need for an extra £50 baffles me as £30 was absolute max...mind that was 14 years ago... Doh.

Edited by Carlo diesel

Just dropped mine off for second annual service....£179

I declined the optional air con check

Assuming you dropped it off at a main dealer then your either paying too much or aren't adhering to the service requirements for your car.

£139 is for Skoda's national fixed / minor service.

£259 is for Skoda's national variable / major service.

Do you know what they are doing for £179? Perhaps this is a £139 fixed / minor service plus an MOT or brake fluid change? 

Assuming you dropped it off at a main dealer then your either paying too much or aren't adhering to the service requirements for your car.

£139 is for Skoda's national fixed / minor service.

£259 is for Skoda's national variable / major service.

Do you know what they are doing for £179? Perhaps this is a £139 fixed / minor service plus an MOT or brake fluid change?

The invoice says inspection service. It included a pollen filter change. Originally they wanted £199 but I cheekily asked for a discount price. According to Skoda's website fixed price servicing is the maximum the dealer can charge. It's not a truly fixed uk wide amount.

I didn't need a loan car and was happy to collect and deliver

Not all dealers adhere to Skoda's National Pricing Policy, I don't think it is a requirement of the franchise agreement but I now avoid those that don't or won't at least price match if challenged.

I wonder how many people are paying £199 for a £139 service.

I have had two services for my yeti, and each time ask for a quote from 3 main dealers.  The most expensive has been £100 more than the cheapest, both for minor and major, ( 99+VAT for cheapest minor, 185+VAT for cheapest major - but plus that £50 haggled down to £30 for the brake fluid). I wonder now if the difference is about what is included by the garage.  As said, life is full of lessons to be learnt, even at retirement age.