Xenon/HID look without an HID kit

ang9444

Hi,

Looking to replace my OEM headlight bulbs on my skoda fabia monte carlo projector headlights. Not too keen on the HID kits as they look quite hard to fit yourself and aren't very cheap so my alternative is an HID bulb that is closest to an HID kit look? Anyone recommend any? Preferably 4500K plus or around there with a blue light/tint coming off the headlights? I have looked at Osram Nightbreakers and seen pictures and reviews but the light has still got some yellow to it. Also looked at Philips Ultra Blue and also read that they are white and not blue, others I have looked at aren't road legal but will I get stopped for them or fail an MOT? Is it worth the risk?

Thank you

Hi,

Looking to replace my OEM headlight bulbs on my skoda fabia monte carlo projector headlights. Not too keen on the HID kits as they look quite hard to fit yourself and aren't very cheap so my alternative is an HID bulb that is closest to an HID kit look? Anyone recommend any? Preferably 4500K plus or around there with a blue light/tint coming off the headlights? I have looked at Osram Nightbreakers and seen pictures and reviews but the light has still got some yellow to it. Also looked at Philips Ultra Blue and also read that they are white and not blue, others I have looked at aren't road legal but will I get stopped for them or fail an MOT? Is it worth the risk?

Thank you

You wont find a bulb that matches the colour of a hid kit. They work in a completely different way.

The kits arent hard to fit. You cant really fit them wrong, all the plugs only go in one way.

I've seen the philips blue vision in action, they are slightly less yellow than the nightbreakers or similar, but also put out less light.

The basic principle of making a halogen bulb look a different colour involves filtering out with a coating on the bulb, this means theres less visible output on the road

• Like 2

You wont find a bulb that matches the colour of a hid kit. They work in a completely different way.

The kits arent hard to fit. You cant really fit them wrong, all the plugs only go in one way.

I've seen the philips blue vision in action, they are slightly less yellow than the nightbreakers or similar, but also put out less light.

The basic principle of making a halogen bulb look a different colour involves filtering out with a coating on the bulb, this means theres less visible output on the road

How hard are they to fit? It puts me off because of having to fit a ballast and I have no clue how to do all that..? As well as finding a decent hid kit

How hard are they to fit? It puts me off because of having to fit a ballast and I have no clue how to do all that..? As well as finding a decent hid kit

The hardest part is finding a place to mount the ballast, and that just needs a screw or similar.

Theres only a few plugs. 3 pairs i think. You cant plug them into the wrong place because theyre different kinds of clips and all male and female.

I used HIDs direct. Havent had any problems with my dipped set after about 10 months now. They were about £60 i think (just going off memory, I'll get you a link if you like?)

Some have used certain ebay kits for £25 (London colour maybe?) and are impressed with results

The hardest part is finding a place to mount the ballast, and that just needs a screw or similar.

Theres only a few plugs. 3 pairs i think. You cant plug them into the wrong place because theyre different kinds of clips and all male and female.

I used HIDs direct. Havent had any problems with my dipped set after about 10 months now. They were about £60 i think (just going off memory, I'll get you a link if you like?)

Some have used certain ebay kits for £25 (London colour maybe?) and are impressed with results

£60 is a lot, i'm a student and trying to keep the cost down haha, the cheaper ones aren't that good i'm guessing? I've read about them and heard the ballasts aren't as powerful or as good

I was worried when i bought a HID kit as i didnt know how to fit them.

Theyre so simple.

I fit mine in around 15-20 minutes, mainly due to the struggle with horrible conversion bulb holders,

my advice, cut your OE bulb holders, then buy some new OE ones, so you have them spare if you ever need to swap back. DO NOT mess around with the conversion holders, theyre around the same price as OE. 

RE your ballasts, i 3M double sided taped mine to the metalwork. easy peasy as long as the metal is clean!

dont be worried, theyre **** easy to fit, and actually light up the road brilliantly! :)

• Like 1

£60 is a lot, i'm a student and trying to keep the cost down haha, the cheaper ones aren't that good i'm guessing? I've read about them and heard the ballasts aren't as powerful or as good

I went for the HID direct kit, 

there isnt a lot of difference between them and the ebay kits. theyre all pretty much built in a warehouse in china.

i would personally after seeing friends kits go for a cheaper Ebay one!

something like this, half the price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-PRO-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H7-6000K-8000K-ERROR-FREE-LONG-LIFE-/200916468994?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec78e0502

But IMO, i wanted more light so if i were to do it again i would go for a 55w kit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hid-55W-Canbus-No-Error-Slim-Hid-Xenon-Kit-H1-H4-H7-Bulbs-4-3K-5K-6K-8K-10K-12K-/271596037529?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item3f3c62a599

I went for the HID direct kit,

there isnt a lot of difference between them and the ebay kits. theyre all pretty much built in a warehouse in china.

i would personally after seeing friends kits go for a cheaper Ebay one!

something like this, half the price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-PRO-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H7-6000K-8000K-ERROR-FREE-LONG-LIFE-/200916468994?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec78e0502

But IMO, i wanted more light so if i were to do it again i would go for a 55w kit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hid-55W-Canbus-No-Error-Slim-Hid-Xenon-Kit-H1-H4-H7-Bulbs-4-3K-5K-6K-8K-10K-12K-/271596037529?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item3f3c62a599

You could have problems with heat in the headlight unit it you use 55w hids

You could have problems with heat in the headlight unit it you use 55w hids

No you wont, the standard halogen bulbs are 55w.

hids are rated a lower watt as they burn brighter so dont need to be as powerful...

Just a note:

so if it were me, and i was to do it again i would be getting a H7 55W Canbus kit, like the one i posted above.

my HID direct kit came with chinese writing on a sticker down the side also, and there was nothing IMO different between the HID direct kit and a £10 HID kit mates have had in the past. i felt ripped off haha.

Edited by matthewl

Londoncolour on ebay is where a lot of people buy their HIDs from.

There's a few members been using the same kit and bulbs for a few years now with no problems.

They are cheap too!

Phil

To be fair, most kits look the same. Theyre all imported chinese stuff unless its oem xenons.

If i was to buy again, id give the £25 kit a go. Theyve had many good reviews

Londoncolour on ebay is where a lot of people buy their HIDs from.

There's a few members been using the same kit and bulbs for a few years now with no problems.

They are cheap too!

Phil

hids are rated a lower watt as they burn brighter so dont need to be as powerful...

Just a note:

so if it were me, and i was to do it again i would be getting a H7 55W Canbus kit, like the one i posted above.

my HID direct kit came with chinese writing on a sticker down the side also, and there was nothing IMO different between the HID direct kit and a £10 HID kit mates have had in the past. i felt ripped off haha.

Cheers guys, will look into them :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just a note:

Honestly, you could.

HIDs do give out less heat compared to a halogen bulb, but the hot spot is a lot more concentrated.

A 55w HID will concentrate a lot of heat on a small area which could cause problems.

Its why i havent already done it.

To add to this. I take it you know that HIDs use a lot of power upon start up, its only when they warm up that they settle down to 35w or 55w

Its fine with a 35w, but 55w upon first start up could cause problems.

Just steer clear is the conclusion i came to when i thought about doin it.

Honestly, you could.

HIDs do give out less heat compared to a halogen bulb, but the hot spot is a lot more concentrated.

A 55w HID will concentrate a lot of heat on a small area which could cause problems.

Its why i havent already done it.

To add to this. I take it you know that HIDs use a lot of power upon start up, its only when they warm up that they settle down to 35w or 55w

Its fine with a 35w, but 55w upon first start up could cause problems.

Just steer clear is the conclusion i came to when i thought about doin it.

people have used HIDs for years,

plenty on here with fabias have been using 55w with no issues.

the HID is behind a glass projector, not directly pointing at the lens so this is irrelevant.

HIDs use a good chunk more power to boot up that split second you see a bright light is not enough time to worry about issues.

they get that surge of power on Startup, not for long periods of time, a few seconds.

in fact i know of people who have been running 100w-120w halogen bulbs with no issues..

dont see what this scare mongering is about?

I found an interesting article about 55W HIDs, and the general consensus is that they are not worth it because the bulbs burn out faster, and after a relatively short period of time the light output is simillar to that of the 35W bulb anyway.

Its kinda weird, so ima break it down and explain whats going on and why one is brighter, but the 55 watt kits actually suck and you shoudlnt buy them. 

The wattage of the HID kits is the wattage passing through the xenon filled vessel of the bulb when the bulb is fully warmed up. Things like the color temp, and the length of the arc will effect how bright the bulb is. So how long is the arc? 

well in a brand ne bulb, the arc is short, and the bulb is very bright, but over time, the two electrodes on each end of the bulb erode and get shorter making the space in btween larger, and the arc gets longer.  

so to recap all that 
***As the arc gets longer, the light output diminishes.*** 

Now we will talk about the service life of the bulb and why it fails.... 

***As the arc gets longer the voltage needed to maintain the arc gets higher*** 
Every ballast has a maximum output voltage capability for operating the bulbs and eventually the voltage required to maintain the arc is close to the maximum of what the ballast can put out, and it will then struggle to keep the bulb lit, or fail to ignite it altogether. (better hids kits come with better ballast that can operate bulbs longer, but try to explain this to your average HID purchasing consumer, and you have lived a day in the life of somebody who sells HID kits) 

Obviously bulb useage erodes the bulbs electrodes over time, but now we are comparing a bulb with 35 watts going through it, and a bulb with 55 watts going through it. 

a 35 watt bulb may see a service life of 3500-5000 hours depending on the ballast while a 55 watt bulb may only see a service life of 1000 hours, this is one difference, if you buy a 55 watt kits you will need to change the bulbs eventually where a 35 watt kit may or may not last longer than you own the vehicle but usually it will last longer. 

But youv also got the fact that the electrodes in the 55 watt kit are eroding faster over time than the 35 watt bulb, and all the while the light output is diminishing since the temp of the arc is decreasing, this all happens at an inversly exponetial rate for the 55 watt bulb. 

With all that you should be able to figure that a 55watt bulb will be about 20% brighter than a 35 watt bulb, but after a few hundred hours of burn time they will be the same, except the 55 watt bulb will be toast shortly while the 35 watt kit will put out the same light at the 55 watt kit was shortly before it failed (and was for ~80% of its service life) but continue to function for another 3-4000 hours of burn time. 

people have used HIDs for years,

plenty on here with fabias have been using 55w with no issues.

the HID is behind a glass projector, not directly pointing at the lens so this is irrelevant.

HIDs use a good chunk more power to boot up that split second you see a bright light is not enough time to worry about issues.

they get that surge of power on Startup, not for long periods of time, a few seconds.

in fact i know of people who have been running 100w-120w halogen bulbs with no issues..

dont see what this scare mongering is about?

I'm not going to argue. Iv been using different set ups in bikes and cars for years.

The arc of a HID is the hottest part.

Although overall HIDs do run cooler than halogens, halogens have an even spread of heat all over the bulb. Hids run relatively cool compared, apart from the arc, which is very hot. Well, its an arc..

Yes. They use a lot more power to boot up, which is fine on a 35w, but on a 55w it could cause issues with wiring as its trying to pull too much power though them.

The fact is, you wont see too much of a difference anyway. Its not worth the risk.

• Like 1

Theyre generally 35w though.

55w is more of a risk. You never know

Ah yes sorry. I missed the 55w bit!

I don't see the need for 55w HIDs. 35w are already LOADS brighter than halogen bulbs so I see no point in 55w. Plus are the bulbs the same just the ballast that pumps more power to the bulb thus shortening the life of the bulbs?

Phil

Ah yes sorry. I missed the 55w bit!

I don't see the need for 55w HIDs. 35w are already LOADS brighter than halogen bulbs so I see no point in 55w. Plus are the bulbs the same just the ballast that pumps more power to the bulb thus shortening the life of the bulbs?

Phil

Its alright mate (:

I think, and dont quote me on this, the ballast and the bulb are different.

The length in the arc on the bulb (i say bulb, its not a bulb is it lol) determines the output of it.

True 55W HID kit will use a different bulb, rated at 50W, which has slightly larger arc and higher pressure inside. These bulbs have noticeably larger diameter of the outside glass. They produce 4000 - 4700 lumens, or 25%-45% more light than a 35W kit, and the difference is noticeable.

Genuine 50W burners have comparable life as the 35W burners, I.e. they will last several thousand hours.

To my knowledge, automotive HID burners have been produced up to 100W, e.g. I currently use a pair of 75W 5000K burners in high beam auxiliaries, incidentally these are overdriven to 95W each.

Regarding using 35W burners with 55W ballasts, the only place it makes sense is when using auxiliary high beams that have factory 35W D2S inserts, such as Hella Micro Xenon series, for ~20% net increase in range. Reduced lifetime does not matter much there, it still is 1k-2k hours, and the 50W bulb would have produced increased scatter (because arc is bigger) and no net increase in range (because arc is as bright as in 35W bulb with 35W ballast).

• Like 1