No Audio from Stereo

Hello all,

My Octy vRS is great but it is getting rather frustrating not having any audio. Its happened 3 times this week, when I started her this morning, the audio came back. When I started her up shortly after, again no audio. 

Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it to the local stealers?? Everything else on the stereo works fine and it looks like it plays the music and everything but just no sound!!

I have a long drive from London to Exeter this evening and cant bear the thought of going all that way without some music or radio.

Kal

Sounds like either a loose cable or you have been muting it by accident?

Also, think there is an option to set the volume when it starts up, so that may be set to zero? Worth looking at.

I assume that adjusting the volume makes no difference when it's not working?

Mine has done this a few times on a Columbus - it got replaced under warranty.

The replacement did it yesterday, and when you move the volume control either on the steering wheel or the head unit the graphic comes up for the volume, but no green bar in there going up and down.

Waiting on authorisation on another warranty replacement .......

Yep -  but they haven't cottoned on to the fact that it is a software bug yet .......

Hold the volume button in for 10 secs until it reboots and all back to normal - the equivalent of a CTRL-ALT-DEL

I think they employed the Windows ME team to write the software for the MIB units.

I have Columbus on my vRS and experience the same problem. Audio has stopped working whilst everything else is still working.

Dealer has flashed a new firmware but did not fix it. They have raised a ticket to Skoda. They didn't mention anything about loose cable. 

I noticed there was a lot of static noise coming from the speakers couple of weeks before they died. The audio went back few times but remain dead after the new firmware. 

I have never had this problem UNTIL I had the whole infotainment unit replaced for another reason (Columbus).  Like Andyvee, I discovered that a 10 second hold on the volume button would force a reboot.  Twice in 3 weeks.  It is annoying because when it happens, you can't hear the other party on a Bluetooth phone call - it's all sound, not just radio / SD / USB / Jukebox...

• Like 1

With reference to the display fault on my Bolero, The dealers have had the vehicle since Monday, carried out diagnostic tests etc, have also contacted their technical helpdesk who remotely logged in and carried out their own checks. The software was updated again (weather there was another update, or not correctly done as the previous dealer ?) The dealer then ran the audio unit and luckily the screen blanked out whilst they were testing. They were advised to replace the screen whilst the fault was occurring, as soon as the new screen was fitted the display worked correctly. My screen was put into the showroom vehicle an although sound could be heard there was no display function. So I now have had the screen replaced again. It's only been a few hours, but I will keep you posted if any faults happen.  Cheers

Hello Gents, thanks for the responses. I have a Columbus (should've mentioned it really) and have since taken it to Norton way Skoda and Honda in Wandsworth, south west London. They couldn't find any fault with it and because they are now a Honda Garage, they cannot replace it.

They have suggested going to a proper Skoda dealer and having it tested there and possibly replaced. What a ball ache!! Will take it down to Canterbury Skoda I think (the in-laws live there) and get them to sort it out. Will have to use a courtesy car from them until they do!!

True about the telephone as well, its very annoying that when the sound goes, you cant use your phone, as you cant hear the person on the other end and cant hear the Sat Nav as well. 

A colleague assumed it was a problem with his phone and restarted it - in the mean time, I rebooted the Columbus and by the time he had called me again, I was sorted :giggle:  Saved me having to explain...

Its all proving rather frustrating at the moment, no Skoda dealer wants to book me in at the moment. They all want to speak to their technicians and come back to me and never do. Skoda in Canterbury want £7.50 per day for a courtesy car which to me is B.S. 

Will try this 10sec power button thing to see if it will help. Skoda Canterbury have said it might need an update. Has anybody seen the update procedure?? What a ball ache!! You need a 32gb SD card, you need a computer to download it onto and 8 hours for it to go on to the car. How do the elderly and mainly technophobe customer base of Skoda cope?  

Wish me luck!!

Kal

• 1 month later...

So this issue still isn't fixed. Preston Motors (London E8) took 2 weeks to finally take the car, bought it back the next day saying it needs a part. This was last Monday 10th November. This issue has gone on nearly 2 months now!! I( find all the dealer want to do is look after their own interests. Very frustrating.

I spoke to Preston Motors today and they say the part should come in Friday or Saturday and have booked to take the car Monday 24th. Lets see what happens!!

Cant wait to finally get some music, radio and telephone back!!

Kal

The infotainment control unit in the glovebox is probably faulty. Its basically the same as a single DIN head unit; couple of release keys and it just slides out and plug and play at the rear.

The replacement would need to be matched to the car (all MQB VAG cars have component protection on them now , like Audi have had for some time).

I used to get this problem on the Columbus in my old Superb II which was also replaced under warranty after it eventually brick'd itself and the dealer couldn't work out how to reinstall the firmware! I know it is a different set up now but looks to me like a lot of the bugs in the old unit have been carried over to the new kit. Also, on my Amundsen, I have noticed a bug that has the same effect, as I keep my phone connected to the USB to top up charge while using camera detector app, but if I power down the phone while connected to the car, it also powers down the Amundsen! It eventually re-boots but can take 2-3 mins before it comes back to life. Last winter Amundsen was also randomly shutting down, but the dealer found a trapped power wire behind the screen, not had any issues since.