Winter tyres and steel rims recommendations please?

I drive a white Fabia 2 but when I first got the car the engine power seem to be able to melt the 205/40-17s so I was not keen to drop to 195/55-15s so went the way so full width and diameter winters and full speed rating.   I do have 195/55-15 on the HTP Fabia but then it only has one third of the power of the VRS. 

I went for two spare full sized alloy which was expensive and in retrospect I should have perhaps just gone for 7"J steelies and banged some nice cheap wheel covers on them but I feel more confident about giving the car stick on full sized winters than the 195-55-15s. As you say one day it can be 7 degrees wet and cold and next day sunny and 15 degrees air temp (288 Kelvin) and winters are getting out of operating range (we never talk about ground temp do we?).  That said some emergency services use winters all year round but I would have thought full width ones!  If I had some of the really oversized options that other VAG cars get ie 235s etc for the same chasis we are using I would consider dropping a size or two but 205-40-17 is versitile in my experience even in mud and snow but, of course, it is required that there is at least 4mm ie the winter wear block height, on at least the front wheels if not both. 

If money was no object I would've stuck them on full size alloys, but the prospect of changing the tyre twice a year didn't appeal, and there were far more tyres available for 195/55/15. My first time getting winters so it'll be a learning experience for next time!

shandyandy,

if the steering feels very really light now with the 195's on and before the roads are cold, you can reduce the 'Steering Assist' using VAGCOM.

george

Thanks for that, didn't know about this. Though it would be nice I don't think I could justify the cost of the software, the steering is noticeably lighter but I can live with that.

Some Member local to you with the equipment and knowledge might be nice enough to do settings & changes for you,

or for some Beer Tokens.

Somebody will point you towards the Map of members.

Then you have 'Brake Assist',  'XDS Setting',  One Click Unlock',   Needle Sweep and various other things that can be 

changed,  some might be already on your car, and best to check if on Factory Settings or not.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

You've opened up a whole new can of worms for me haha. I'll have a look and see if there's any settings that interest me, but I'm quite happy with how she's running at the moment. Thanks for all the info!

Some Member local to you with the equipment and knowledge might be nice enough to do settings & changes for you,

or for some Beer Tokens.

Somebody will point you towards the Map of members.

Then you have 'Brake Assist',  'XDS Setting',  One Click Unlock',   Needle Sweep and various other things that can be 

changed,  some might be already on your car, and best to check if on Factory Settings or not.

george

Thanks, hello!

Insurance company (admiral) is fine with it - when I phoned up earlier they just had to make a note that I had fitted winter tyres. However they didn't ask about the wheels and I didn't mention them because I didn't have time to explain the situation to the particularly slow individual on the other end of the line. Should probably ring back tomorrow and explain that I've fitted them on 15" steelies, no doubt they will charge me for the pleasure. Every year.

Admiral state they will charge no more for winter tyres as long as they are a size approved by the manufacturer and the wheels are worth no more than the standard wheels.

As 15" wheels with 195/55x15 is the Skoda approved winter tyre size you will be fine.

Lee

Admiral state they will charge no more for winter tyres as long as they are a size approved by the manufacturer and the wheels are worth no more than the standard wheels.

As 15" wheels with 195/55x15 is the Skoda approved winter tyre size you will be fine.

Lee

Ah thank you very much, that's saved me some hassle. Upon looking in the tyre forum I've also noticed the pinned post with a link to the ABI winter tyres guide, which shows that I didn't even need to notify admiral.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/221007-abi-list-of-insurers-regarding-winter-tyres/

Always check with insurance first too

Mine was awkward about it,wanting like for like sizes

So are winters on 205/40/17 going to be effective?

My insurance company was the same so I got Dunlop SP Winter sport 2D 195 55 R15 with new steelies from the dealer. First time I had tried winters and was amazed at the grip on snow and ice. They seemed quieter than the contis too. I am on my 4th winter with them now. The only problem is not enough snow and ice.

Edited by bobjob49