Replacing D1S HID (bi-xenon) headlamp bulbs

muddyboots

Morning all

Has anyone changed the HID bulbs in a bi-xenon equipped Yeti ?

Just wondering what's involved - whether I need to take the front bumper off, get the headlights out etc - or whether it's possible from the engine bay.

Thanks in advance :)

I would have thought in basically the same way as you would change a normal headlight bulb, from the back of the light unit inside the engine bay, since the light unit itself isn't that different, only the "gubbins" that makes the light.

On my last car with HIDs, the rear covers of the headlamp unit were fastened on with numerous torx-head screws, and there was no clearance to undo them. 

So the bumper had to come off (only a 10 min job), to get at the headlamp mounting screws, so the headlight could be removed, to get the rear covers off...

I haven't actually checked the handbook, but I doubt it covers replacement of these bulbs as it's not normally expected that the end user would change them.

So just wondered if anyone else has tried, could save me ages faffing about!

Go on, get out there and have a look. The sun's shining.

I did have a look actually...

...and it all looks very easy. Removeable caps on the back, and just about enough room to get hands in to change the bulbs.

Thinking of forking out for a set of the Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs.....

Mine went back to dealers with a fault on one of my headlights on a 2014 Elegance

They had it a day because they said the bumper had to come off.......

I can imagine that being the case for anything more than a bulb swap. You wouldn't be able to get any of the other bits out, without removing the headlight, which probably needs the bumper off.

• Like 1

I can imagine that being the case for anything more than a bulb swap. You wouldn't be able to get any of the other bits out, without removing the headlight, which probably needs the bumper off.

Although I doubt bumper removal takes more than 10-15 mins :)

• Like 1

I did have a look actually...

...and it all looks very easy. Removeable caps on the back, and just about enough room to get hands in to change the bulbs.

Thinking of forking out for a set of the Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs.....

If you do take the plunge, please share your impressions! I am very happy with my bi-xenons (especially compared to any of the other cars in the family stable), but can't help but wonder how much of a difference the Osrams would make...

If you do take the plunge, please share your impressions! I am very happy with my bi-xenons (especially compared to any of the other cars in the family stable), but can't help but wonder how much of a difference the Osrams would make...

Plunge taken - I've just ordered a pair. 

They better be bloody good.

• Like 1

For information, I've ordered them from Powerbulbs.

They are offering 20% off at the moment, so were the cheapest I could find for a pair.

Plus you can get 10% cashback via Quidco with Powerbulbs.

Didn't want to risk unheard of sellers on Ebay, as I suspect there are a lot of Chinese fakes about...

• Like 1

Thanks for the info muddyboots, I'm really interested to see how much of a difference these could make. Tbh I hadn't seen these, I had my eyes set on the Silverstars but -judging by a previous post of yours I found- it looks like the Nightbreakers are the successor of the Silverstars (and another 30 euros or so more expensive apiece...)

One of the few reviews I read was by someone on the R32 owners club forum. He originally switched from the OE Philips to the Osram Xenarc Silverstars, and then went from Silverstars to Nightbreakers.

See here: http://www.r32oc.com/topic/90762-review-of-osram-xenarc-night-breaker-unlimited-d2s-xenon-lamps/

I know it's just one person's view, a different car etc - so doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to see the same improvement in the Yeti - but it's encouraging.

• Like 1

For information, I've ordered them from Powerbulbs.

They are offering 20% off at the moment, so were the cheapest I could find for a pair.

Plus you can get 10% cashback via Quidco with Powerbulbs.

Didn't want to risk unheard of sellers on Ebay, as I suspect there are a lot of Chinese fakes about...

I'm afraid I'm being a victim of marketing, but that 20% discount is really tempting as I'm already thinking about buying these... Must... resist...

The per-bulb price isn't as cheap as elsewhere, but you get 20% off if you buy two or more, which makes it more competitive.

They also have a 20% discount code ("AUTUMN20") - but that doesn't have any effect once you've already got the 20% off for buying 2. I tried!

Free delivery too (in UK at least - just noticed you're in Greece). Mine are arriving any moment now.

So no bumper removal required? It will be interesting to note your,e view on the actual difference the new ones have over the stock HID bulbs.

Tony

Correct - no bumper removal.

1) Open bonnet

2) Rotate and remove cap from rear of headlamp unit

3) Undo 2 metal clips holding bulb in

4) Withdraw bulb and carefully manoeuvre it free of headlamp unit

5) Detach cable from bulb (it just pulls off)

6) Attach cable to new bulb

7) As Haynes would say...refitting is the reverse of removal.

Just need to be careful not to touch the glass of the bulb at any point.

And at £60-70 per bulb, don't bloody drop it :)

On the passenger side, don't be tempted to remove the cover from the fuse box just behind the headlight for a tiny bit more space.

Doing this exposes +12v connection studs right behind the headlamp, and inadvertently touching them with the bulb base or braided cable, makes big sparks :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...