Rapid Manual Gearstick rattle and unsmooth ride

Hi Guys

I have a Rapid Elegance 1.9 diesel and its just been in for a service for 10000 miles. It as just turned 1 year old. Since I bought the car, I have found that I get a rattling gear stick and a juddering uncomfortable ride when doing 30 mph in 4th gear and just above 40 mph in 5th. If I press cruise control I have to accelerate / decelerate to get a smooth ride.

I brought this to the attention of the service manager who said He would get a technician to look at this. I received a call stating my car was ready and asked if any fault was found. He told me that the car was fine. I asked him to take it for a ride and He would feel what I was speaking about. He told me that the tyre pressures where low and that could of caused it.

When I went to collect the car, I spoke to the salesperson who sold me the car and She stated that a salesperson took my car home as I had Her demo and that She confirmed the unsmooth gear shift and rattling on the gear stick.

I asked the service manager if the fault had been found and couldn't believe what I was told. He stated that there was excess rattling and that they didn't know what was the cause. He told me to drive the car to put more mileage on it and if it continued to bring it back in to be checked out when it gets worse.

Any ideas guys what I should do next.

Thanks

Barry

I'd go back and ask to speak to the manager telling them what you've been told and ask that something be done about it. being told to go away and see if it goes away is not acceptable. Don't be nasty, just tell them that you want something done about it

Hi Guys

I have a Rapid Elegance 1.9 diesel

[emoji6][emoji6]

You mean 1.6 diesel [emoji106]

Anyway I wouldn't agree with there answer its complete BS. As said I would get them to sort it out.

Good luck. Let us know the result [emoji106]

What do you mean by unsmooth ride?  Suspension very firm?  Mine is a pretty early one and the suspension has obviously been based on the well proven design used on Great western railways coal wagons for many years.  I think Dunlop Sports are hard and noisy as well.  I have my tyres just below minimum pressure.

Or do you mean jerkiness?  Known as shunt I think.  A sort of falter or stumble or hiccup when going from power on to power off in slow moving traffic.  Or when a slow down clears and you press the pedal for power and it seems to take the engine by surprise and it stumbles a bit.

Drives me mad actually but is a lot better after the dealer(so they told me) deleted the engine software and installed an up dated version.   It was much better and the car will trickle now in first gear with no power on round carparks for example---before it used to tug like hell and accelerate and had to be held back on the foot brake.  Very unpleasant.

See what the dealer says .Interested in outcome.

Three possibilities come to mind;

If the car is smooth accelerating via the cruise function, then possibly there's an issue with the accelerator pedal. It also sends its signals electronically (drive by wire).

Unlikly but VAG DMF's have in the past been known to give trouble, although usually a judder when pulling away and I would imagine the 1.6 with it being a TDI will have a DMF.

Another possibility could be an out of balance drive shaft; a previous Golf had this and it caused the gear stick to vibrate noticeably but in 6th gear.

If your getting no joy from your usual dealer try another if you can, they does seem to be noticeable difference between Skoda dealers in product knowledge/understanding and quality of workmanship.

TP

Thanks for the reply's guys. :notme:

It is a 1.6 my bad. Its deffo not suspension or tyres as it only happens at certain speeds. I notice it more acurratly on the maxidot at 50kmh in 4th and 71kmh in 5th. If I engage cruise at those speeds it can become very jerky. As hopeimright put it stutters and seems surprised when I accelerate from that speed.

I will see how it goes for the next 100 miles and try another dealer for their views.