Halogen to Xenon swap

clam

Hi!

Has anybody changed Superb halogen lights with Xenon ones?

My Superb have front washers and adjustable halogen lights. Is there any possibility to change the lights?

Obiuvsly I need somekind of height sensors and a Xenon unit + Xenon front lights ofcourse. Is there anything else or just coding ?

Superb II 

With best wishes,

clam

Edited by clam

You will find that it will be extremely expensive.

The bi-xenon headlight clusters, ballasts, ignitors and bulbs will be very pricey. Then you'll need to code them and possibly adapt the wiring.

It would be far easier to fit an aftermarket HID kit into the current halogen projector's. This is for the MkII Octavia but the process for the MkII Superb is almost identical...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264447-hid-aftermaket-kit-help-for-definitive-how-to/page-1?hl=+hid

There is a UK-based seller on eBay called 'London Colour'. Their kits are very high quality and come highly recommended on here.

I agree, it'll be expensive but putting HID-kit to magnifier/luope lights wouldn't also be the best solution

Sure it depends what kind of laws different countries have but i'm quite sure, that it won't be 100% legal

Thatswhy i'm think it's easier to change the lights to original ones . (but not the cheapest theory) :D

Isn't it an MOT failure if you have HID lights but no head light cleaners and auto levelling, I was told that dirt on the lense can bend the light of the HIDs which can dazzle as they are so strong. I have been told this by a chap that I work with who converted his Octavia VRS headlights, his car failed its MOT for this reason.

Edited by bryanp

The legality debate has been discussed in detail here in the UK. Car's with factory fit xenon's over 2000 lumens do need automatic self levelling headlights and the headlight wash system.

Our annual road worthiness test (MOT) stipulates that 'if fitted' they need to be operational. So those fitting a HID kit to a non-xenon car providing the headlights have the projector type dipped beam are unlikely to have issues.

There are certainly many, many members on here running HID's with no issues. Be responsible and ensure that they are correctly aligned. Sticking close to OEM helps too (35W / 4300K).

I'm sure the situation in Estonia is very different but £30 GBP compared to close to £2,000 buys you lot's of HID kits and Police fines! :D

Edited by silver1011

According to EU regulations, xenon headlamps should contain following visible markings:

DC for dipped beam

DR for high beam.

Using retrofitted HID kits without these markings on headlamps is illegal.

Our cops are checking this quite carefully. 

I'll probably be told that I 'must' not bring this up again by more senior members of the Briskoda community but here goes.....

Are aftermarket HID kits legal in the UK? No

Will they fail an MOT? Probably not, at the moment even though there are apparently plans to have them checked, depends on the fitment etc.etc.

Will you get in trouble with the Police? Probably not, unless poorly aligned

Your choice to fit or not....

I wondered how long.....

OK, my car is currently giving about 42 mpg around town and 46mpg on longer trips. I quite like the look of the Vauxhall Insignia estate but I think the Ford Mondeo is too fussy around the front end and something about the rear wing transition into the boot area doesn't quite work for me

Edited by Bristolf2b
  • Like 2

I wondered how long.....

OK, my car is currently giving about 42 mpg around town and 46mpg on longer trips. I quite like the look of the Vauxhall Insignia estate but I think the Ford Mondeo is too fussy around the front end and something about the rear wing transition into the boot area doesn't quite work for me

The inside of the Mondeo looks like a Halfords employee has gone crazy with a can of cheap silver spray paint all over the dashboard! The insignia looks OK but the boot looks small and the lid looks too big and bulky for no reason! Edited by bryanp

According to EU regulations, xenon headlamps should contain following visible markings:

DC for dipped beam

DR for high beam.

Using retrofitted HID kits without these markings on headlamps is illegal.

Our cops are checking this quite carefully. 

crime must be pretty low in Estonia  as it sound like you have fully trained xenon police to catch people fitting illegal HID kits

Are aftermarket HID kits legal in the UK? No

Will they fail an MOT? Probably not, at the moment even though there are apparently plans to have them checked, depends on the fitment etc.etc.

Will you get in trouble with the Police? Probably not, unless poorly aligned

The OP isn't in the UK.

crime must be pretty low in Estonia  as it sound like you have fully trained xenon police to catch people fitting illegal HID kits

They perform random operations often, when they stop every single car. Usually it`s for alcohol, but sometimes (specially in autumn when it gets darker outside) for lights also. I have been in a police check, when they did total check for my Mondeo`s LED DRL-s and xenons.

But they can stop you just like this for having some chinese xenons installed. You do not have to be a specialst to see the difference.

It's similar here in the UK. Once pulled over the Police will check a car for the basics - tyre wear, obvious defects etc.

Luckily the Police here in the UK are not quite as clever as they are in Estonia, most still confuse DRL's with front fog lights! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to the thread - xenon retrofit cost c.a. 500 GPB for complete lamps and complete leveling system. In addition there is cost of work. So not terribly expensive. Prices in Poland for used parts.

Are the eBay/Amazon etc only way or is there any specific web-page or market in Poland, where I can buy new or 100% working parts with that kind of price?

actually I need Xenon lights, leveling system and xenon units.