So I had a guy come and fit my towbar on Monday. He showed me everything (including the charging) was all working fine from his little suitcase.

Last night I thought I'd test out the bike rack on it. Everything is working OK 'cept for when I put it in reverse the parking sensors go bonkers.

Now I have had a quick search around on here and found bits of info on them being disabled when using a towbar and that the infotainment screen should show a picture of a car with a trailer.

So 5 questions:

1. Is re-coding the Octavia something a general towbar fitter should/would know how to do?
  2. Should I get him back?
  3. Is there anywhere (webpage/PDFs etc) which explains the procedure (assuming it is VCDS?)?
  4. If he can't do it can anyone on here?
  5. Is there anything else I should be aware of that should be recoded?

Cheers in advance.

You need a proper wiring kit with the towing module. This recognises something plugged into electrics.

The car needs coding to recognise this. Can be done on VCDS and the info is in the O3 VCDS thread now.

Things it should do:-

Turn off reversing sensors & turn on pic of trailer in Bolero to remind you!

Turn off car fogs if trailer/board has fogs.

Tell Stabilty control there is a trailer.

Turn on additional dashboard signal when indicating.

The Eco mode is disabled to prevent coasting while towing.

Alter alarm so it goes off if electric connection unplugged while alrm is set.

Having said all that if you only carry bikes and can put up with reversing sensors going mad when reversing I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

OK thanks all.

I should have mentioned. The car has factory tow bar prep and has been fitted with the correct OEM Westfalia extension kit to a Westfalia Removeable Swan Neck Tow Bar.

I asked the fitter (prior to visiting) if the cost included all the necessary vehicle recoding and he said it did.

I'll be giving him a call.

I believe I have proper wiring for my towbar, but I can't prove it, short of ripping up the interior to check all the cabling. Its not a Skoda so doesn't have the same easy checks. However, I paid a reputable fitter (who did the same for a colleague who did check theirs) a lot for it and it says so on the invoice.

I believe I have proper wiring for my towbar, but I can't prove it, short of ripping up the interior to check all the cabling. Its not a Skoda so doesn't have the same easy checks. However, I paid a reputable fitter (who did the same for a colleague who did check theirs) a lot for it and it says so on the invoice.

Don't know if true on your car but most 'proper wiring' will enable the cars own indicators/bleeps for the indicators. I would think if your car has a beep coming from the boot area while indicating with the trailer attached it is an aftermarket bypass system with built-in warning tone.

Blimey, you really can't see anything when it's detached. Well impressive!  

Is it the same on the VRS? The bumper is different, but how that would affect the towbar I have no idea.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Basically it involves fitting the control module. Places like pf jones et al can supply the same vehicle specific kit for less. It just needs programming to achieve the same as a factory fit system. At least, that's my understanding.

Snet with speeling mistkaes from my phoen

What does the factory tow bar prep consist of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It places a connector on the left hand rear wheel arch (hidden under the carpet) where the fitter can then plug in a control module and the rest of the leads to the towbar. If you are purchasing from someone such as PF Jones, you can order the shorter loom (for cars with Tow bar prep) - and in theory, save money on the part as well as fitting, as it is easier for the fitter to fit.

Cars before June 14 required another connection making from the fuse box to the bar (for caravan charging) - which negated the saving made having tow bar prep as the fitter had to run it from the fusebox anyway. Cars from June 14 on do not need that extra connection as the tow bar prep supplies charging.

I would telephone PF Jones (they are very helpful and knowledgeable) and ask them for a quote for supply and fitting a Westfalia (OEM) towbar with and without towbar prep and see what the difference in cost is. You will then know whether tow bar prep it is worth it or not then.

• Like 1