Loud knocking noise when i floor it in 1st gear (when wet)

ang9444

Hi,

I get a very loud knocking noise from the front wheels when it's wet and I floor it in 1st gear (put my pedal to the floor), i'm 90% sure it's just the wheels spinning because they don't have enough grip in the wet but on my old car (corsa 06 plate) the wheels used to just spin without making this loud knocking noise... Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Feels the same as Axle Tramp.

But will be the ESP / TC trying to get traction and stop the tyre spin.

Nipping the brake. (not a great way to get good acceleration.)

If you have a TC button try putting TC off.

if not then you will have to just use your throttle and clutch according to the surface and tyres until you fit better tyres.

george

• Like 1

My 1.6 16v Tiptronic has ESP with TC etc etc. It does the same thing if I floor it away from roundabouts etc. It's the TC as the guys are saying. If I switch off the ESP the problem is solved and my front wheels will spin to their hearts content. By why? Leave the ESP switched on and become more accustomed to moving off without getting wheel spin. It's faster without the spin. Enjoy!