Getting to Heathrow by car for 10am?

JJBS3

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone here knows what I'm likely to encounter traffic/delays wise travelling from Manchester to Heathrow airport for a 10am ish check in?

It's been a long time since I've used Heathrow, and would fly down, but in this case flying/train are not options.

Am I gonna have to leave at stupid o'clock to miss the traffic, or stay in a hotel, or is it not a bad as I imagine?

Any thoughts welcome!

Should mention, I have to be at the airport Wednesday.

Edited by JJBS3

I would go the night before and stay in a hotel, the last time I flew from Heathrow I stayed in the Premier inn, this included a reasonable rate for parking whilst I was in Switzerland, only downside was the bus ride to the airport from the hotel.

• Like 4

You don't mention where you are flying to.

The flight time would reflect total allowance time: Manchester to Heathrow + destination..

If just a 2 hour flight go that flight morning in plenty of time, allowing the norm 3 hour pre-check-in etc.

I would go the night before and stay in a hotel, the last time I flew from Heathrow I stayed in the Premier inn, this included a reasonable rate for parking whilst I was in Switzerland, only downside was the bus ride to the airport from the hotel.

+1 on the hotel done this everytime i have flown from there . the bus journey is v short & infinitely better than stop start in the traffic worrying about getting there in time . also you have parking included in the price as weel up to 2 weeks

• Like 1

+2 for the Premier Inn and the Hoppa bus(£9 return and runs about every 20/30 minutes throughout the day.)

Otherwise leave home no later than 4.00 a.m.and keep your fingers crossed.

On many occasions I've been close enough to Heathrow to see the planes landing and taking off ,and it's still taken an hour to get into the airport.

• Like 1

You don't mention where you are flying to.

The flight time would reflect total allowance time: Manchester to Heathrow + destination..

If just a 2 hour flight go that flight morning in plenty of time, allowing the norm 3 hour pre-check-in etc.

I'm only flying to France, with a further connection in France, so it's not a long flight but it was more the traffic driving to the airport - flying Manchester to heathrow is not an option this time.

Cheers though

Definitely hotel stay as opposed to travelling on the day.

Far more civilised time to get up, less chance of traffic hassle and you get to the other end far fresher.

All it takes is someone to have a relatively minor prang on the road down for there to be a large hold up and you to be late.

• Like 2

Shame you couldn't fly Manchester to France. That would have saved a load of hassle!

It sure would have mate, but my travel was booked by the company, I have to meet client at heathrow, and my return journey just didn't fit (would have resulted in 8 hours in Paris CDG) on a Saturday, and booking a different return journey was just beyond the realms of possibility (apparently).

Gentle Giant - Not too excited about that idea - and its going on the company so hotel is booked! Relax, pint, civilised start tomorrow.

Cheers for all the input people!

+3

Done this myself a few years ago going Mexico and saves some grey hairs.

Can't convince the current missus that this is the best plan when we fly to USA and beyond in December. :(

Could possibly drive you to/from airport if times are reasonabubble. Leave your car at home or at mine if you'd rather. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing that a journey from Manchester to Heathrow will involve the M25, and if you've never experienced the M25 at rush hour, i.e. about the time you'll be hitting it, then you'd be insane to want to.

Surely the company has to pay for the hotel considering the time it booked the flight?

Could possibly drive you to/from airport if times are reasonabubble. Leave your car at home or at mine if you'd rather.

Awesome offer, Garry, but there are 4 of us possibly travelling up, but we'll see and I'll bear this in mind.

• Like 1