VCDS questions - lights adaptations

I'm a newbie to VCDS.

I played some with the light adaptations and noticed that the dimming values for the outer lights ("dimmwert") are set to "100" from the facory. For both incadescent and LED lights (brake, tail). Except the xenons as I remember (127).
I experienced that the controller accept values between 0-100 and 127 (and nothing between 100 and 127).
If I adjust the values between 0 and 100 I can see the difference.
But there's no visible difference between 100 and 127. For example I changed the (LED) brake light dimming value from 100 to 127 whilst pressing the pedal and couldn't see any difference.
(The idea to change them to 127 is from the LED number plate coding description.)

Q1.
So "dimmwert" value 127...what is it for? Googling didn't help.

Q2.
I retrofitted 50W cree leds (for rear indicators) and they work fine without coding. No hyper flashing, no bulb-out warning. I think they have resistors inside.
When I recode them to "40-allgemeine LED" they also work fine without any error message.
Which setting is better for my retrofitted LED bulbs?
Is there any extra protection (e.g. against overvoltage impulses) when I set them to "40-allgemeine LED"?

Thanks in advance :)

I've noticed the 127 as well, I wouldn't worry about that and just use 100.

If you are fitting LEDs then change the lasttyp to reflect that just in case.

You must have CANBUS friendly LEDs if they don't throw an error without changing anything.

50W indicators must be way to bright at night, considering the original bulb rating.

The other problem with LED indicators is that an incandescent bulb outputs light all round, whereas an LED is directional. The result is that an incandescent light fills that part of the light cluster, whereas an LED just provides a small directional pattern of light.

• Like 1

50W indicators must be way to bright at night, considering the original bulb rating.

The other problem with LED indicators is that an incandescent bulb outputs light all round, whereas an LED is directional. The result is that an incandescent light fills that part of the light cluster, whereas an LED just provides a small directional pattern of light.

My new bulbs have a total of 10 pcs of LED chips, 8 (2x4) on the side and 2 on the top (with lenses).

There's no reflection problem. When I fitted one of them I walked around the car and compared the light effect to the other (unchanged) side. No visible difference. There are a lot of reflecting area inside the rear light unit and the light reflected everywhere.

The china seller advertised the bulbs as equipped with CREE XP-E's but they are fakes but very similar.

The light output is higher than the original PY21W bulb, I estimate 150%.

My plan was to dim the LED bulbs (with VCDS) if they were too bright but I leave the value at "100".

(I opened a dispute with the AliExpress seller - hopefully I'll get a nice refund because of the fake LED chips).

A gyari ertek teljesen jo, szerintem ne allitgasd, mindenfele utolagos izzokat pedig en biztos nem tennek a sajatomba...

The china seller advertised the bulbs as equipped with CREE XP-E's but they are fakes but very similar.

You ordered something from someone in China, and expected it not to be a fake?  Really?   :D

• Like 1

Q1.

So "dimmwert" value 127...what is it for? Googling didn't help.

Here's what is probably happening. The value is being stored internally as a signed 8-bit integer, which allows values between -128 and 127. However the byte is being used here to represent a percentage, so the valid range is between 0 and 100. Values below 0 and above 100 are capped to 0 and 100 respectively.

Software engineers rock :-)

• Like 1

And on some lighting settings there are only really 4 or 5 distinct values. So you can change the value and may not actually see any difference. LED DRL brightness settings behave like that. Any value above a certain value is full brightness.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1