Getting concerned....

I'm regularly reading through the threads here and am becoming more and more concerned as to whether i have ordered the right car....

I had every confidence that Skoda's of today were up to the standard we all now expect but there just appears to eb lots of build quality issues, problems with stereos etc etc that are making me worry that the car I have got to live with for the next 3 years is going to be a disappointment.

How do others feel on here?

Which one have you bought?

There do seem to be a slightly higher number of problems with the new octavia , but I think part of that is because quite a lot of people only look for a forum for advice when they are having trouble. The majority of owners don't give their cars a second thought as they work just fine.

Not had any trouble of note tbh myself? Hard to say what the Octy II is like until it's been out for a while though.

Generally I'd say the problems appear to be related to the usual lemons that appear to be slipping through the net, as well as the HU - dunno if that's worth replacing?

I'm regularly reading through the threads here and am becoming more and more concerned as to whether i have ordered the right car....

I had every confidence that Skoda's of today were up to the standard we all now expect but there just appears to eb lots of build quality issues' date=' problems with stereos etc etc that are making me worry that the car I have got to live with for the next 3 years is going to be a disappointment.

How do others feel on here?[/quote']

My Ocky 2 is over a year old.

With the exception of the Stream (Steam) radio which is far inferior to the Ocky 1 radio I have no problems.

There were a few minor problems in the first couple of months but all were resolved without problem.

Wow I'm amazed they've managed to make the radio WORSE - seriously, the Octy I standard gear was absolutely awful, or perhaps it sounded that way coz of the standard speakers, hard to be sure.

Thought they had put a little more effort in this time & put something decent in as standard, but I'm obviously wrong :D (now why have I got the feeling that's happened before :rofl: )

I don't think you need be concerned! I've had a similar spec (L&K 140 DSG) for 2 weeks / 2000 miles and am very happy with it. The only "problem" on the message board that I recognise is some creaking from somewhere behind the driver's right ear on poor A/B road surfaces. Another thread has put that down to loose fitting in the rear door seal, I think, but it doesn't bother me at the moment as almost all of my miles are on the motorway... doubtless I'll ask for it to be looked at in due course.

On other matters: I think the Audience sound system is excellent, the leather seats very comfortable (and even better when combined with the L&K gimmick of memory positions for the seat and mirrors - my wife is much shorter than me), the driving position is excellent, economy is good for a car that will shift when you want it to, Xenon headlamps great, the windscreen wiper system works surprisingly well in drizzle at motorway speeds, etc, etc.

Nick.

I had every confidence that Skoda's of today were up to the standard we all now expect but there just appears to eb lots of build quality issues' date=' problems with stereos etc etc that are making me worry that the car I have got to live with for the next 3 years is going to be a disappointment.

How do others feel on here?[/quote']

I think it is such a good car generally that to some extent we are nit picking on small things - you should try owning a Rover.

Can't say that audio bothers me much - I tend to listen to the Radio 4 news, or CDs !!

The general feel of the car is so much better than before [and I write as one who loved my old vRS]. On the motorway it feels like it has wings, and if all I get is minor creaks once in a while, I'm not going to worry too much. If you get a real duffer for some reason , just reject it and get another one.

My near neighbour has been impressed enough to go straight out and buy a 140 bhp DSG diesel estate. Be interesting to see what he finds.

I have the 2.0 TDI Elegance with the 6 speed manual box, leather, maxidot and Audience, I had a few niggles to begin with but they were all down to the towbar that the dealer fitted for me. The dealer has sorted out the towbar electrics for me now and everything is fine, it's a nice car to drive, definately drives like a more expensive car (which it is now compared to the original Octy), goes well, comfortable and economical, no regrets about going for the Octy over the other cars I tried.

Darren

I am very impressed with skoda.I have had eighteen trouble free months,Jane has had twelve in her latest car which was bought after three trouble free years with her last one.

Sometimes I am flabbergasted at what some people consider serious problems or indeed even a problem.

Think yourself lucky you didn't buy a merc I say.Friend has just had a

I think it is such a good car generally that to some extent we are nit picking on small things - you should try owning a Rover.

Can't say that audio bothers me much - I tend to listen to the Radio 4 news' date=' or CDs !!

The general feel of the car is so much better than before [and I write as one who loved my old vRS']. On the motorway it feels like it has wings, and if all I get is minor creaks once in a while, I'm not going to worry too much. If you get a real duffer for some reason , just reject it and get another one.

My near neighbour has been impressed enough to go straight out and buy a 140 bhp DSG diesel estate. Be interesting to see what he finds.

Agreed. Part of the problem with the non-audience audio installations on the sound quality front is the speaker positioning. The bass speaker is facing your thigh and all you have in front of you is a tweeter at the A pillar. As a result, the mid/bass frequencies are compromised on.

I was going to go for the audience but realised the only benefit to me would be the extra front door speakers and I wasn't paying over

Have had no trouble with mine, 6months, 8000miles. Build qulity best of all my cars Iv'e had. The three other Skoda's in the family have also been faultless.

Agreed. Part of the problem with the non-audience audio installations on the sound quality front is the speaker positioning. The bass speaker is facing your thigh and all you have in front of you is a tweeter at the A pillar. As a result, the mid/bass frequencies are compromised on.

I am not worried about the Audio performance. That is far better than the Mk1 it is the RF performance which is utterly useless. Regular breakthrough from other transmitters which can be very violet indeed. Also much more RF noise than on the Mk1. I drive many routes regularly and RF performance on all of them is worse.

I have had the flash upgrade, an admission by Skoda that there is a problem, the result is if anything slightly worse RF performance with no reduction in breakthrough.

No big problems in mine. It's just got a few niggly faults that i'll get sorted at the next service. If the worst thing i can find to complain about is a slightly tempramental window button then it can't be all bad. Hell, i've had the engine fall out of a newish car before, so i think the octy's doing quite well.

I'm certainly feeling a lot more confident after reading your replies. I knew I was just reading problem posts, as you all said that';s half the reason why we post!

Thanks for the positive messages, car should be less than 8 weeks away now with any luck!

My Elegance has been fine and the only problem my Mum has with her L&K is the programming of the automatic lights, although a few on here have had the problem too and is only a dealer reprogram to sort it out.

Had mine a year now and haven't had any problems at all except for the dealer selling me the wrong wheel trim once... Every time somebody new comes in my car they comment on how nice it is, and how nippy it can be for a 1.6 n/a too. One friend seems to have a problem with the style of the wing mirrors (???), but he owns a bloody Celica import with a stupidly large spoiler anyway so he's not one to talk!

I think your worrying over nothing. Like some folk have said people only tend to post if they have a problem. I must admit I've only got one minor niggle as that's a noise from the drivers door. But as I use the CD player most of the time I don't hear it unless it's turned off.

Personally I think the audience CD is a fabulous player and with loads of options to tune to your needs. Sound wise it's not the best I've been in but then I'm used to very good aftermarket setups - and it's certainly not the worst i've heard either. The additional mid speaker also improves the sound over the standard stream setup. I've just started using MP3s now which gives me loads of hours play especially if you put 6CDs into the player.

Oh, and that's the same colour I picked. I wasn't sure myself if I'd like it, but having washed it the other day with the sun beaming down it's awesome.