Rear Wiper.

Skipp66

My rear wiper has stopped working on my 57plate scout

I visited my local dealer who checked the fuse and connections which were all fine, so they reckon it’s the motor as the washer is fine. Quoted me £51.84  for a new one plus £67.20 to fit it !! Question I want to ask is, how easy is it to fit? Does not look too difficult, just wondered if there was anything I should look out for.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Before you do anything, check the wiring harness where it enters the tailgate from the body.

It was not unusual for the wiring to break down and /or short because there was no slack in the wiring. It happened a few times on my 56 Roomster and was a pain in the wotsit until a proper repair was made by an Auto Electrician.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem but mine is intermittent. It's fine for a while, but occasionally needs a push to start so I'm guessing that it's a bad spot on the commutator. I want to have a look to see if I can clean it up but can't see how to remove the cover. I need advice as I'm well aware of how easy it is to break a plastic retaining tab. :swear:

Hi,Mike

My rear cover is very easy to remove, just prize it off gently, the retaining lugs are fairly sturdy.

Unfortunately my eletricial gremlins have got worse this week

So the eletricial things that are now not working are -

1. Both eletric windows ( stopped today)

2. The rear wiper

3. Heated mirrors ( still move ok but don't defrost)

4. Alarm red led in drivers door .

That's it so far !! I've already had one repair to the wiring in the drivers door, and it's going back in tomorrow for the electrician to have another look ! I'm getting a bit fed up with the niggling faults and am thinking of getting shot of it.

Great car mechanically but these faults are starting to annoy me, cars been well looked after and fully serviced so can't blame the owner my uncle has a 2005 volvo v70 with 300k on the clock, and every gadget and gizmo is still working !! Must make better wiring in Sweden !!!

Thanks Skipp, I'll have a go when it stops raining :rain:;)

Sorry to hear about all your other problems. I had a 2003 Passat with 250k on it that was fine until the ABS controller died. It still amazes me that electrical problems are relatively rare.

Thanks Wilbur, that was the issue with the wiper, its been repaired and working fine .

Unfortunatly the other issues needed a new wiring loom in the door, although at £70 I thought it wasn't to bad but have also found out that the window regulator also needs replacing !! Another £140 plus fitting ( have to wait until after Christmas!) but the good thing is all my electrical goodies are now working )apart from windows)

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My rear wiper - also 07 went mental the other day and would not turn off. As a stop gap measure and to protect my sanity - it's SO annoying - I got the young lad in the garage to just disable it altogether. Looking at your sterling costs, I'm dreading what I will be fleeced for to fix it.