Superb Estate 4x4

Seriously considering a 60 plate Elegance 170bhp.

Anyone got any advice on what to look out for e.g electrics going wrong, 4x4 failure.

Rear discs are solid, is it a straightforward change to have vented? Mintex or Bosch best?

Cam belt due at 4 or 5 years or any mileage limit?

Any help much appreciated.

Look for service history and signs of wear & Tear

Electrics and 4x4 system don't seem to go wrong if looked after correctly (Haldex service)

Why change rear discs - most of your braking is handled by the front end, if you change you will upset the balance - the breaks work fine as standard.

Cam belt is on mileage - 100,000+ if I remember correctly

Chris

Reply from Skoda UK ref 60 plate Superb, 2.0 170 CR

Thank you for your email dated 27 October 2014 regarding the cam belt on your ŠKODA Superb.

I can confirm that I have checked with our Technical Department and they have informed me that the recommendation for changing
the cam belt on your vehicle is at 140,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

I trust this information has been of help to you, however, should you require any further assistance then please feel free to
contact me on the telephone number listed below.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good, Customer Relations Manager

Thanks for the help everyone.

Bought the car yesterday, but test drive didn't't include any high speed/6th gear running.

Went on M62 & as soon as hit 70mph in 6th got really loud vibration & rumbling.

Anyone a clue what it might be?

Tyres all new & would assume any balancing issues would show at lower speeds.

Doesn't make me feel too confident about the car, which is main dealer purchased.

If the fronts aren't balanced correctly you will get vibration, I went through a spate of wheel vibration from 70-80. Rebalance sorted it out.

Might be worth getting all four rebalanced to eliminate the issue. If vibration and rumbling continues then will be something else.

• Like 1

What did the seller say about the vibrations? You could make it a condition of sale that they sort it out before you pay.

Sounds like he's bought AND collected the vehicle already Jake.

If main dealer then take it back, should have some form of warranty from them?

Currently sat in a Kwik Fit having them check wheel balancing, alignment & suspension as first check on what it could be.

Will take what they say with pinch of salt if they start trying to quote me silly!

12 month Skoda warranty on it.

Currently sat in a Kwik Fit having them check wheel balancing, alignment & suspension as first check on what it could be.

Will take what they say with pinch of salt if they start trying to quote me silly!

12 month Skoda warranty on it.

What did they find?

All wheels & tyres were way out on balance & alignment. Having a motorway run later so will let you know if that was the problem

I am thinking of getting mine (Balance and 4 wheel alignment) done when it's time to get new tyres and one of the alloys repaired after an argument with the kerb (SWMBO was driving).

Problem is still there. Getting the feeling I have been sold a lemon! Seems bonnet & n/s front wing are replacements.

Not good bud, is it a lemon or accident damaged? Did you ask all the right questions before purchasing, did you have an HPI check done?

As you say it's still under warranty so hopefully everything can be fixed before that runs out.

Buying from Skoda main dealer, you don't expect accident damaged 4 year old cars to be retailed or need HPI checks.

Taking it to another main dealer tomorrow for diagnostic check.

I fear the worst!

Hopefully it's nothing major and it will be fixed under the warranty, but just because it is a Skoda main dealer doesn't mean that you shouldn't have an HPI check carried out, as not all dealerships will have done this themselves.

Assuming you bought from a Skoda dealer, then it will be on their approved used scheme: http://www.skoda.co.uk/used-cars/advantages-of-skoda-used-cars/

So it should have had a multi-point check and a vehicle paper check (HPI, insurance repair).

And, if you really want to, you can exchange within 30-days / 1,000 miles.

• Like 1

Hi,

Dont panic just yet!

I wouldn't discount the possibility that your wheels are still incorrectly balanced and geometry still out....Been there too often myself.

Unless your tyre fitter has used state of the art stuff like the Hunter GSP9000 Roadforce balancing machine or equivalent there is a good chance its still not right.

Your tyres may also be having an effect. Some (Premium) brands are notoriously harsh and noisy on the road which just aggravates any other sensations you are experiencing.

Where are you now in the process?

Cheers

Yves

• 1 year later...

Turned out that this was the propshaft damper that had gone. Took it back to dealer within a week of purchase having notified them of the problem on the day it was bought.

Problem sorted by them at no coast.

• Like 1