Oil overfilled on service at Dealership

Took my VRS to my local dealer today for its 2nd major service. I decided to supply my own oil and gave them 4 litres of Castrol edge 5w-30. When my car was done I was informed they had used all the oil including what was left in my boot as top up oil which was approx half a litre. I questioned the service receptionist about how much oil they had put in and told him it only takes 3.6 litre but I was told it was the right amount they had put in. So I left and headed back home to check the log book which states 3.6 litre is the capacity which I thought it was.

I called my dealership but the service department had closed so I spoke to someone from sales who was not much help but was told by them for peace of mind call the AA or RAC to check it. I called the RAC and the bloke that came drained the oil off and filled it back up. The dealership had over filled it by over half a litre. He also commented by how black it was for a oil change and that I had only done 10 mile from the dealership to home. He sniffed the oil to see if it had been contaminated by over fueling but it was ok. I was given a full report that stated it had been overfilled and the condition of the oil, he also put the excess oil in a container for me to take to the dealership to show.

I drove back up to the dealership after a manager but conveniently he had gone home so gave one of the sales people a flee in their ear and left the oil and a copy of the report with him to give the service manager, he told me he would get him to call me on Monday when he was next in. Will be calling SUK on Monday as its a joke how a dealership does not how much oil goes in this engine and then tells me that i was wrong on on the oil capacity because their fully trained tech guy said it was right. 

• Like 1

Probably done to anticipate oil usage associated with the MK2 ..

Or this might be down to the check oil hot or check oil cold as this makes a difference on the dipstick.

i don't understand why my oil was as a black as what would come out of diesel engine. It only had done 10 mile from the oil change.

Maybe they didn't even bother to change it? Makes you wonder if they just topped it up and overfilled it...... Then kept your Castrol edge for themselves.
  • Like 1

Hot or cold dips really have nothing to do with it.

A car being serviced might have 0.25 litres left in.

But then the Technician - Fitter should be putting in 3.5 litres and checking, then seeing.

If the put in 4 litres physically,

they know that is greater than 3.6 litres,  the capacity.

That is one conclusion me and the RAC bloke came up with Furbytom. George the oil filter looks changed as the cap was grey and the one before was black.

Is it possible to get the oil analysed/checked by an independent third party to get some evidence of wrongdoing? I'd then take 'em to the cleaners.

Was this done at robert eardley stoke andy by any chance.

Sounds like them to be fair - my Octavia came from them, and I had problems. Had it serviced at Furrows in Oswestry and I was very happy with the customer service :)