left hand drive?

youl probably find that if you open the drivers door with your key, lean over the passenger door will open from inside.

This makes sense as the interior handles override the locks don't they

Nope, if the car is deadlocked as it normally does the interior door handles don't work, that's the whole function of the deadlocks, that you can't smash a window and open the door with the interior handle.

Surely the simple answer is to use a cig lighter adapter for your charger... Give it enough juice to unlock I'm sure

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Still not really the point is it, what if you're wanting to use jump leads to get on with your journey?

Still not really the point is it, what if you're wanting to use jump leads to get on with your journey?

if thts what you want,you can wait for enough charge from your charger adapter to un lock the door , then you can open the bonnet and use your jumpleads to start, and off you go

if thts what you want,you can wait for enough charge from your charger adapter to un lock the door , then you can open the bonnet and use your jumpleads to start, and off you go

What a performance! I think I'd jump on a bus.....................or call the AA of course.

To make you feel better here is a picture of the Porsche Boxster cockpit I'm test driving at present. The car cost over £40K when new.

Note the configuration of the handbrake.

I can hear the sound of some users preparing their nooses as I type...

My 51 reg mk4 Golf V5 (my first car with cruise) had a footrest on the right. I'm fairly certain the 55 reg Focus Ghia that followed it did also, but wouldn't put much money on it.

Both my wife's Golf 6 and my father in law focus (1st model) have footrest on the left. All Left hand drive cars I've driven (never drove a RHD) had footrest on the left, for the clutch pedal foot; even before cruise control became common. I think that if you have it on the right, this is a consequence of the RHD modification, not really on purpose, unless you would have one on both side.

Other things they forgot to convert are the DSG lever, which moves away from the driver for manual mode on a RHD car, but at least we share the + and - being the wrong way round with LHD.

Also, the knob used for operating the sunroof in the hatch is turned in the opposite direction to the roof but would be correct on LHD.

Nope, if the car is deadlocked as it normally does the interior door handles don't work, that's the whole function of the deadlocks, that you can't smash a window and open the door with the interior handle.

Oh I didn't know that... How do you deadlock the car then as only this weekend I left the wife in the car at the petrol station when I went to pay and locked the doors with the fob(out of habbit) and she just opened the door to let me know lol

Oh I didn't know that... How do you deadlock the car then as only this weekend I left the wife in the car at the petrol station when I went to pay and locked the doors with the fob(out of habbit) and she just opened the door to let me know lol

On my Mk II if the car was locked with the fob, then there was no obvious means of getting out, door handles, windows and internal lock/unlock button were not operable.

I seem to remember the manual saying there was some complex method of opening the boot lid from the inside though.

My Octavia III is currently like yours, there may be a something in the options, but I have not yet checked.

Both my wife's Golf 6 and my father in law focus (1st model) have footrest on the left. All Left hand drive cars I've driven (never drove a RHD) had footrest on the left, for the clutch pedal foot; even before cruise control became common. I think that if you have it on the right, this is a consequence of the RHD modification, not really on purpose, unless you would have one on both side.

Yes, there was also the standard rest on the left in both cars.

I *like* the handbrake lever being where it is. The lever in my mrs' car (a Civic) is right next to the driver's seat and whenever I use it I inadvertently end up feeling my own arse. Sexy.

So when you use the Skoda handbrake you end up feeling hers instead????

So when you use the Skoda handbrake you end up feeling hers instead????

Unfortunately due to the class-leading interior space in the Octavia, it's only when there's a hefty bloke with big thighs sitting next to me that the proximity between arse and handbrake hits what I like to call 'critical mass'. Or 'critical ass'. Cue gruff mumbled apology. "sry m8."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tempted to email SUK and ask them how an owner is meant open the bonnet if the battery is flat.....

Done, lets see what they come back with....

Interestingly i've had no response from SUK on this......

It's one of the many benefits of having Japanese cars: they are designed to be RHD and it shows.

I *like* the handbrake lever being where it is. The lever in my mrs' car (a Civic) is right next to the driver's seat and whenever I use it I inadvertently end up feeling my own arse. Sexy.

I have a 9th gen (current model) Civic for about the next 3 weeks until my Rapid is ready and the handbrake lever is on the passenger side. That's a Japanese car and built in the UK so a double  :think:

I have a 9th gen (current model) Civic for about the next 3 weeks until my Rapid is ready and the handbrake lever is on the passenger side. That's a Japanese car and built in the UK so a double  :think:

Even stranger that the iconic MX-5 - at least in my wife's Mk 2.5 version - has the handbrake lever way over on the left side of the tunnel. But then so do/did iconic Brits like TVR? I was merely making the general point about Japanese being "naturally" RHD - and see also Steve Cropley in last week's Autocar. Strange that a new Civic should suffer from this though. What can Honda have been thinking about?

Bear in mind Honda also did the abomination of a handbrake on the CRV :) To add to the weirdness, I've driven a Renault over on the continent with the handbrake on the right hand side, so it's not just those crazy Japanese.