Annoying rattle inside when driving

clgale88

For months and months iv had this really annoying rattle inside my car when driving. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger A-pillar so i took that off and packed it up with some padding but it still did it. So i just left it but lately its really beginning to do my head in. Iv now found that when i drive it sounds like its coming from the glove box so i opened it up and it still made the noise, so i closed it and pushed on the glovebox to the far left top corner right near the passenger door and it stopped let go and it started. But i cant find any problems with my glovebox. Anyone else got this really annoying rattle or know of what it could be? It only stops when i press the far left of the glovebox. Help will be appreciated

It will be the latch mechanism inside the lid between the two skins. You need to put an extra rubber stop in the middle of the lid so that the lid flexes slightly when closed and the mechanism is pushed against the inner skin. Either that or split the lid a bit and pack the mechanism or use a really thick grease to bung it up

It will be the latch mechanism inside the lid between the two skins. You need to put an extra rubber stop in the middle of the lid so that the lid flexes slightly when closed and the mechanism is pushed against the inner skin. Either that or split the lid a bit and pack the mechanism or use a really thick grease to bung it up

Any pics of what i need to do as im a little confused

Any pics of what i need to do as im a little confused

If you'd asked me that 2 days ago yes - but I sold the Fabia on Tuesday...

If you look at the glovebox lid you’ll see that the latch mechanism consists of two spring loaded wedge shaped catches that come out of the sides.  Pull the lever and these retract to allow you to open the glovebox.  However, these latches are actually long flat bars that run within the glovebox lid to the glovebox handle and my guess is that it is these rattling within the lid.  To stop them rattling you need to make the lid bend slightly when it is closed so that the middle of the bars cannot vibrate inside the lid and the bar is pushed against one or other side of the lid.

I found the best way of doing this was to add an extra rubber ‘foot’ (one of those stick on rubber feet you can get for drawers and vases etc. from the likes of B&Q - see piccie below) to the middle of the glovebox lid so that when the lid was closed the new rubber stop pushed the middle of the lid out slightly whilst the latches kept the sides in (thus putting a slight bend in the whole lid).

If you look at the piccies below the red bits are the existing latches and the blue is roughly where you need to put a rubber foot…   I found I need to trim one of the feet down a bit so the glovebox flexed but was still easy to close and stayed latched.

post-93-0-68282400-1415894906_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-07469700-1415894931_thumb.jpg

If you'd asked me that 2 days ago yes - but I sold the Fabia on Tuesday...

If you look at the glovebox lid you’ll see that the latch mechanism consists of two spring loaded wedge shaped catches that come out of the sides. Pull the lever and these retract to allow you to open the glovebox. However, these latches are actually long flat bars that run within the glovebox lid to the glovebox handle and my guess is that it is these rattling within the lid. To stop them rattling you need to make the lid bend slightly when it is closed so that the middle of the bars cannot vibrate inside the lid and the bar is pushed against one or other side of the lid.

I found the best way of doing this was to add an extra rubber ‘foot’ (one of those stick on rubber feet you can get for drawers and vases etc. from the likes of B&Q - see piccie below) to the middle of the glovebox lid so that when the lid was closed the new rubber stop pushed the middle of the lid out slightly whilst the latches kept the sides in (thus putting a slight bend in the whole lid).

If you look at the piccies below the red bits are the existing latches and the blue is roughly where you need to put a rubber foot… I found I need to trim one of the feet down a bit so the glovebox flexed but was still easy to close and stayed latched.

I now get you i will have ago at this at the weekend i think. Fingers crossed it cures my problem. Its bugging the hell out of me especially in traffic everytime i pull away it rattles grrrrrr

Also the end cap on the dashboard has metal clips which can work loose and rattle over time. This is essentially the opposite cover to the one on the drivers side for the fuse box. How I've tackled it is put a blob of blu-tac in with the clips where they fiit in the slits on the panel. Have a look mate. If you struggle I'll go take you a picture of what I've done.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3