Chalk And Cheese !

2ndskoda

Today my humble 1.2 86 Fabia SE went in for its first service. The dealer loaned me another Fabia, which is really different to my own car.

On my car I have Bridgestone ER300's - 195X55X15 - which are very noisey.

On the loan car there are 205X45X16 Bridgestone ER300's - very noisey, BUT< the difference in the ride is quite amazing, and makes me very envious! I find it hard to believe that a modest change in size could alter the cars charactoristics so much.

Second point - the loan car has DSG (I have never driven a DSG Fabia before) - I have to say I'm a convert, and loved it from the first mile, to the extent that my next Fabia will have DSG.

I will miss the loan car when it is returned

• Like 3

both my cars have DSG, I wouldn't get anything else but you get dinosaurs like this giving dud advise!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/11182806/Which-automatic-gearbox-should-I-buy.html

I had a Superb L&K as a loan once, made a nice change from the base spec Roomsters they normally hand out, very nice car but a bit big after a Fabia!

• Like 1

both my cars have DSG, I wouldn't get anything else but you get dinosaurs like this giving dud advise!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/11182806/Which-automatic-gearbox-should-I-buy.html

I had a Superb L&K as a loan once, made a nice change from the base spec Roomsters they normally hand out, very nice car but a bit big after a Fabia!

Honest John is clueless.  All of the quality car makers like Mercedes and BMW are now using their own versions of DSG as it is clearly the best system.

• Like 1

Honest John is clueless.  All of the quality car makers like Mercedes and BMW are now using their own versions of DSG as it is clearly the best system.

yes according to him my Fabia VRS is about the worst car you can buy, he doesn't like the gearbox and he doesn't like the engine, funny that its the best car I've owned!

That "Honest John" article is tosh!! We have a new BMW F31 330d with the ZF8 gearbox.Most people and journos rave about it,it is very nice but i think the Fabia 7 speed is better ;)

Also, I think the BMW auto boxes are "sealed for life"  have been for a while.

Edited by PulsarET
  • Like 1

The DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch as in the Mk2 Fabia vRS is Sealed for life, and does not require a service.

& now it turns out the Synthetic oil was causing corrosion and the Recalls in other world regions & Service Campaign in the UK

is to change it to Mineral Oil and update the ECU.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

So sealed for life last as long as things work OK, 

then if they need opened or unsealed, that is what happens.

Be that VW, BMW or even Lexus.

• Like 1

Wonder if mines going to end up being opened then. Its making a hell of a noise for a bit when cold. A noise it wasnt making last week. Its off to the dealers on friday so I can pick up my snow shovel and my free winter check. (Think its better explained that way round) its getting plugged into vcds so they can see why the epc light keeps coming on an cutting power completely. Its not that bit that worries me really, its when the power comes back in and it sounds like my engine twisting the chassis its that loud.

Anyway this isnt my topic.

DSG is the future! Well a 10speed is the future apparently.

Get them to take out the News Spark Plugs that were fitted with the new Engine and the Software Update,

just to check them, and likely to replace them.

Because some plugs really are not lasting with the Refurbished CAVE Engines supplied as replacements

& how the Map on the ECU is configured..

Find the handling sharper on our Monte's 17" rims but the ride noticeably better on 15" winters, as is the case with the Spaceback; 195/55 and 185/60 respectfully.

Interesting most people find the ER300 noisy, the ones on the front of my lads Fabia seem better in all respects to the factory Conti's that came off; currently the car is on Bridgestone LM30 winters, which appear very quite and grippy.

TP

The er300's are very noisey.

Gotta say i was having a play on the way home tonight in the wet, and despite chucking it about abit in safe places, it never lost traction.

Still getting rid though.

I have the exact same car (model/engine) from new and it came with Hankook tyres which seem to have a pretty crappy reputation, although they seem fine to me, but then again I drive like a pensioner these days. I wonder why there is so much variation in tyre manufacturer types on new Skoda's.....

• Like 1

I have the exact same car (model/engine) from new and it came with Hankook tyres which seem to have a pretty crappy reputation, although they seem fine to me, but then again I drive like a pensioner these days. I wonder why there is so much variation in tyre manufacturer types on new Skoda's.....

I dont know tbh. Strange isnt it. I guess its just whatever the have in the factory at the time or build?

i love my DSG, but then i do love my manual for track work.  Horses for courses.  Funnily the DSG is very good on track too in manual, however you do feel a cheat and you do feel more connected to the car ontrack which is what you want.

But as an everyday car DSG all day long, it's changed the way i drive, i actually don't get as would up about traffic jams  as i used too, which is just as well living int he south east

• Like 1

Some very high mileage 6 speed DSG's around now which appear to have been trouble free also some 7 speed dry clutch boxes are beginning to rack up the miles. 

Best gearbox I have had on my many cars and by some distance.

Plenty of critics about but most aren't worth the salt. Noises, hesitancy, that sort of thing but to me it's just the smoothest most satisfying gear change ever for a car in this price bracket.

Strange that the bigger wheels with lower profile tyres had a better ride, usually the other way round!

Agreed.

Maybe the shock absorbers are showing different characteristics?

Perhaps we are confusing better steering and road holding with ride?

Bigger wheels (16") and the tyre wall will be less than the tyres on the 15" Rims, (which are probably narrower)

But there is the cushioning of the Tyres being wider

& the possibility of a more compliant (flexible) sidewall.

Its not just about Numbers on Tyre Walls, it is about Brand, Tread & Compounds, but very much about Sidewalls, 

& how they flex.

Then with loan cars, unless you check and set the pressures yourself,

you never know what they are running at.

Often sales cars or demonstrators feel bad, because the pressures are all wrong,

But by the same merit, they can be wrong as in too little air in and feel quite nice.

(an old sales ploy with crashy used cars !!)

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Not sure when it happened, I think in the last couple of years, they revised the front suspension. IIRC the console bushes are now mounted transversely instead of longitudanaly.  (may be wrong though)

The current Polo front subfame and wishbounes were introduced in 2009 from MY10 I believe; my lads 59 plate pre facelift Fabia II 1 trim has the revised arrangement.

TP

The current Polo front subfame and wishbounes were introduced in 2009 from MY10 I believe; my lads 59 plate pre facelift Fabia II 1 trim has the revised arrangement.

TP

Does this provide a better ride than the previous arrangement then? (:

Can only compare the Fabia I to the revised arrangement on the Fabia II and I don't feel there's much in it to be fair, probably more to do with commonality of parts across the VAG group and the fact the horizontal bushes seemed more prone to wear.

TP