Water Pump? Again!?

jme808

On 29/11/13 at around 40k I had my water pump replaced under warranty at Skoda Platinum Bath, as it was loosing coolant (seal is a weak point on this model apparently).

Now, just over 20,000 miles (62ksh) I'm loosing a little coolant again... I know that colder weather can create a slight contraction of coolant, but have topped up once and it's gone down again after 1000 miles so I'm starting to think the pump is on the way out again.

What are my options in terms of warranty from here?  My warranty ran out in July this year and I didn't go for the extended.  Is the part still covered as it was done less than a year ago?

I was looking at getting the cambelt and pulleys done next year (at 80k), and would have replaced the pump then.  I'm also getting a little concerned that coolant on the belt is not a good thing - so assuming the pump is going again I may as well get the belt done early.

I don't want to use Skoda if it's not covered as I have more faith in my local garage (and they're gonig to be much cheaper).  I may even do the work myself.  have done a few belts / head gaskets etc but only have a drive to work on which aint that much fun in the colder months.

Any thoughts welcome!

Edited by jme808

Hi 

I had the water pump replaced on my 1.9 PD TDI estate under warranty but now my 1.6 CD TDI estate has lost water without any reason, the garage(s) can find the cause?

Could it be the pressure cap on the expansion tank because I do not think the garage test for the valve inside the plastic cap?

Diesel Estate

Thanks for the responses - shame they don't cover their warranty work for a year.

I'm checking the brakes tomorrow, so I might try and get the bottom belt cover off and have a looksy - I really don't like paying garages for things when I can avoid it.  I'm sort of glad to be out of warranty so I'm not tied to Skoda in that respect.

I found this on youtube when I was looking for info on changing the belt.  I found it interesting, but I like looking at engines (it's not in English, but you can mostly guess what he's saying) - this must be with the serp belt removed.  The chunkiest timing belt I've seen!

jme808,  while it's generally true there is no warranty on warranty work I would make your first stop your Skoda dealer. New genuine parts fitted under warranty are covered under warranty for a limited time, even when the car is out of warranty. This may only be for 3 months in some cases but more generally parts fitted are expected to be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose and to last a reasonable time. So it may still be covered. Additionally, if a problem is reported within warranty and it continues to be a problem out of warranty, then the claim has not been fully met and can continue to be fixed under warranty even when the car is out of warranty if it's within a reasonable time frame. Although the time factor as to how long the part maybe warranted may vary and the manufacturers sometimes have differing veiws on this.  I worked as a master tech for 33 years and this was always the case within the dealerships I worked for, even when the car was out of warranty. We replaced gearboxes, even engines well out of warranty due to this type of circumstances. So don't give up. 

Edited by Estate Man

jme808,  while it's generally true there is no warranty on warranty work I would make your first stop your Skoda dealer. New genuine parts fitted under warranty are covered under warranty for a limited time, even when the car is out of warranty. This may only be for 3 months in some cases but more generally parts fitted are expected to be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose and to last a reasonable time. So it may still be covered. Additionally, if a problem is reported within warranty and it continues to be a problem out of warranty, then the claim has not been fully met and can continue to be fixed under warranty even when the car is out of warranty if it's within a reasonable time frame. Although the time factor as to how long the part maybe warranted may vary and the manufacturers sometimes have differing veiws on this.  I worked as a master tech for 33 years and this was always the case within the dealerships I worked for, even when the car was out of warranty. We replaced gearboxes, even engines well out of warranty due to this type of circumstances. So don't give up. 

Thanks estate man - I've had a look today and can't find any visual leaks.  Will give the dealership a call tomorrow to see what they say - my main concern is them taking a look and charging me the £90 ish for an hours labour for them to tell me it's not covered - as I can have the belt, pulleys and pump done for around £300 locally I'm more tempted to keep my eye on it, and have it done by them when it gets worse.

The belt looks fine with no water marks, cracking or worrying signs at the moment so I feel fine driving it.

They do say that.

& it is in the Warranty Document.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

But they need to fit parts fit for purpose and in an proper manner, & with the customer rightly expecting some degree of longevity and reliability 

of the Parts fitted and the Fitter fitting them correctly.

So they are not absolved of all responsibility because a Manufacturers Warranty has Expired,

or because some handless technician no longer works for them.

So it is all down to what parts are supplied,

& if it is water pumps that are poorly Manufactured say, then the Dealer or Supplier needs to take that up with the Manufacturer or Distributor.

Get in Writing from a Service Manager or Dealer Principal when something is said by someone in Dealerships as 

'not their problem any more.'

PS

With Extended Warranty Companies paying for parts,

then the 1 or 2 Year Warranty might apply,

as when a Owner / Customer pays towards work and parts,

Edited by goneoffSKi