Fabia Vrs Heater Matrix Removal/access?

piggoy

I'm trying to get access to the heater matrix and enclosure so I can insert a PTC heater from a VW Polo. The trusty Haynes manual says that access and removal of the matrix is possible with the blower assembly in situ, therefore not requiring complete removal of the dashboard. However I am finding this not to be the case! After removing the centre console I have gained access to the base of the blower assembly. There is simply not enough room to removal the enclosure from around the matrix. See attached pics. Immediately below the enclosure is an electronics control box preventing it from moving downwards. Any help or ideas would be most appreciated. Cheers.

post-70954-0-03070500-1416161017_thumb.jpg

Was attempting the same modification on my Roomster last year, found the same problem, did not fancy dashboard removal, sold the heater on eBay in the end. Shame whoever put that ECU there did not think of mounting it in a way easier to remove.

Was attempting the same modification on my Roomster last year, found the same problem, did not fancy dashboard removal, sold the heater on eBay in the end. Shame whoever put that ECU there did not think of mounting it in a way easier to remove.

I saw your post. However you remarked it as applicable to mk2 Fabia, not mk1.

I'm thinking that maybe the heater matrix has to come out with the enclosure. Perhaps if I clamped the coolant hoses in the engine bay and undid bolt #9 (presumably also in the engine bay) then I should be able to slide both parts out. I'd be screwed if I couldn't get it back in though!

I've found a Fabia workshop manual that explains the procedure. You have to remove the enclosure along with the heating matrix by clamping and detaching the coolant hoses in the engine bay. Difficulty will depend on access in the engine bay, maybe better from underneath.

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/heating_air_conditioning/heating_air_conditioning/heating/removing_and_installing_parts_of_the_heater_unit_part_1/removing_and_installing_heat_exchanger_and__heating_element_for_additional_air_heating_z35/