The new Mazda CX-3 - a Yeti sized competitor

The next Defender might well be a Yeti-like shape.

Sadly I won't look like this (or be this size) at all any more:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/211933-new-lr-defender-concept/

That project has been canned for something to replace the Defender WITH a Defender - in LWB and SWB modes.  So sadly don't expect a Yeti sized Land Rover any day soon. Though the new Defender will of course have a boxy Yeti-like shape (or does the Yeti have a Defender like shape in that having been out a fair few decades before the Yeti?!) LOL

Here's a potential boxy competitor:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/suzuki/sx4-s-cross/first-drives/2015-suzuki-vitara-16ddis-4x4-prototype-review

And more pics of the side here.

Not pretty.  But also not ugly either.

Here's a potential boxy competitor alternative:.....Not pretty.  But also not ugly either.

'Corrected that for you' (as they say!).  Agree about appearance; fairly run-of-the-mill and the rising sill line has been moderated from the extremes we've been seeing lately, and the rear end is at least a bit more upright.  That massive front end suggests the aerodynamics of a house, compared with the bnck-like Yeti.  I wonder about the limited engine choice. 

Very much agree but Kia isn't (yet?) what I think you call a "premium" brand and it's a small car yet retails at up to £25,550 and that's without any options.  The running costs aren't especially economical either.  If it was better "value for money" and cheaper to run I'd have bought one before now.  However we both like the look of it...it looks a bit different... and, despite the doubters, I still like the idea of that warranty.

. Stan I don't know where u got your prices from but £18,000 list with sat nav etc it appears to be far better spec than equivalent yeti ,top or the range £20,500 and a lot bigger inside than u might think,I might appear a bit biased as I owned a mk 1for 3years never a problem with reliability and the only criticism was a bumpy ride on bad roads and only lost under 4k but the engine as good as it is properly a bit short in quality and economy but the new soul is quite a step forward.

. Stan I don't know where u got your prices from but £18,000 list with sat nav etc it appears to be far better spec than equivalent yeti ,top or the range £20,500 and a lot bigger inside than u might think,I might appear a bit biased as I owned a mk 1for 3years never a problem with reliability and the only criticism was a bumpy ride on bad roads and only lost under 4k but the engine as good as it is properly a bit short in quality and economy but the new soul is quite a step forward.

From the Kia website  price list and HJ's price list and the Drive the Deal price list.

Top of the range diesel is shown as retailing at £21545 plus £490 if you want metallic.  Obviously less whatever deals and discounts were going at the time .  I did say "retails up to..  etc........."

• 3 months later...

£25000 is for the top of the range Sport model, with a long list of standard equipment including LED headlights, so really the only Yeti to compare to it is the L&K model. As you say a bit expensive but how many Manufacturers do a 4wd diesel Auto, Nissan certainly don,t. I have already booked a test drive at my Mazda dealer on Island when it arrives in June/July. It will be interesting to see if a 1.5 diesel with auto is a compromise to my Yeti 2Ltr DSG Elegance, we shall see.

Tony

£25000 is for the top of the range Sport model, with a long list of standard equipment including LED headlights, so really the only Yeti to compare to it is the L&K model. As you say a bit expensive but how many Manufacturers do a 4wd diesel Auto, Nissan certainly don,t. I have already booked a test drive at my Mazda dealer on Island when it arrives in June/July. It will be interesting to see if a 1.5 diesel with auto is a compromise to my Yeti 2Ltr DSG Elegance, we shall see.

Tony

All true...  but I'm not moaning about the equipment you get. I'm thinking the car is WAY too small for that sort of outlay.  

Putting in my twopennorth as someone who recently switched from a Yeti to a Qashqai+2, while I liked the distinctive shape of the Yeti the massively better fuel consumption from the more aerodynamic QQ has been a real eye-opener (and wallet-saver) to me.  Maybe the QQ's 1.6 diesel engine is more economical as well, although I would have thought the effort it has to make to drive a largish car would put it at a disadvantage to the 170 Yeti - but it appears not.

So any Yeti II, for my money, has to address the fuel economy issue as well as appearance.  If so, I would happily return to the fold.

All true...  but I'm not moaning about the equipment you get. I'm thinking the car is WAY too small for that sort of outlay.  

The Cx3 looks like it's the same size as a Yeti, although the rear passenger headroom may be a bit cramped. If either this or the Honda Hrv had been available a couple of years ago and the latter point was not too much of an issue (i.e. sloping rear roofline), then I would have probably gone with one of them instead. Assuming of course it drove as well as the Monster and wasn't spoiled by a wallowy ride :sun:

And also our petrol version can tow 1200kg but the auto-only diesel is limited to 800kg!

hahahahahahahaha now that just confirms to me what a micro-car this really is. Bless. OK that totally puts this off my radar. And to think what you can get in a Yeti for £25,000 and how much you can tow! Golly that's bad.

It'll sell a poultice to the town trendies though!

OH I LOVE the car don't get me wrong. I have a tin snail I want to tow and that's my rub. So for MY needs this is a toy car. For 99% of the other people out there this will make a VERY fine car. Mazdas are good cars in my book. Well just look at my signature! hehehe.