Mini to cull lineup

gadgetman

A dealer I was doing some work in had a prototype pickup which looked very tasty.

I believe BMW had it on tour around the UK dealers to test public opinion/viability.

Can't remember what they called it now. I assume the same as the original Austin mini pickup

'MINI Paceman Adventure Offroad Concept'  will bring up the articles on the Pickup,  & on Google Images.

Dear God! You owe me some mind bleach.

• Like 1

Our local mini garage have had that pickup thing in. Unfortunately for them they parked it on forecourt next to the BMW i8. Guess which car got most looks..

The ones in the garage opposite ?

• Like 1

Seems like a daft move to me. I mean, the Paceman is such a niche vehicle, there's nothing similar in their lineup....

11paceman.jpg    11countryman.jpg

Mini Countryman                                                                  Mini Paceman

No wait, it's the other way round.

No, its....

Hmmmm.

Strange how function eventually wins out over form. The BMW MINIs are an abomination and the raft of tat that was thrown out with the badge on is shameful. A neighbour has one of those stupid little coupes that looks like its wearing a syrup. Black with red bits. Looks as exclusive as dog dirt. 

What segment really is the Mini Coupe in as a 2 seater hatch back,?

they are a very odd car.

Near £17,000 to over £25,000, then more for specing up.

£20,000 odds for Diesel ones.

As the GT86 / BRZ price drops new and used, they are rather good value.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I'm not keen on the coupe, but the rest of them look just fine for the segment they are in.

I really can't see what would make them an abomination. What small hatchbacks *do* you like?

Like Fiat 500s, VW Beetles and those bizarre Vauxhall Adams it really does seem like the MINI is a pure marketing exercise above all else. In three generations its gotten to look ever so slightly different and whereas I can sit in the rear of an original Mini I couldn't squeeze in to the be back of a new one. I don't even like how they drive and the price of them is ludicrous. Don't get me started on the over-inflated ones that look like they should be flying above Battersea power station. That crappy estate was also utter bilge.

Small hatchbacks? I like many- latest generation Fiesta is fine, VW Up/ SEAT Mii/ Skoda Citigo are acceptable and I'm not offended by the Renault Clio either. But these are cars built with a design brief and a function in mind. The MINI seems such an impractical waste to me, the Arosa has as much boot space and is packaged better. Mind you i'm forever drawn back to simpler times and the likes of a Mk2 Polo to my mind reflect better design. Smaller, more spacious, simpler and ultimately cheap. Something the Mini used to be but that the MINI definitely isn't. 

Edited by sparks03