VRS in the snow?

pierst1

Hi all,

Having not run a Fabia VRS in the winter time before and seeing reports that we could be due snow this winter I was wondering what people's experiences are with these in the cold weather? My other car is a 335d Touring which I don't want to use in the snow for obvious reasons although I get the impression I may need to get winter tyres for the skoda?

Sorry if this has been asked before but not having run mine before in heavy snow I was hoping someone could enlighten me :)

Thanks

Have run my 209k Fabia VRS on winter tyres the last four winters - an absolute revelation. Currently running Michelin Alpin 4 205/45 16" tyres bought in a package  with Enzo alloy wheels from MY Tyres in Germany . They arrive within a week . Tyres on their own would be about £500 , with the alloys about £800. The ride quality has also improved. You can get anywhere in snow with these ( unless you are blocked by others on their summer tyres !)

• Like 2

If you believe the Express you'd better trade it in for one of these before demand rockets:

gty_snow_mobile_mi_130819_16x9_992.jpg

Otherwise it will be pretty much the same as any front wheel drive car with 205 tyres, not bad but not the best. Tyres are key, plenty of tread and don't use budgets if you want reasonable performance with summer tyres. Fit some snow boots if you are really worried or mobility in snowy periods is important (plenty about for not too much money in standard vRS size or go to 195 wide). Plenty of threads with opinions on which are the best :p

One of the best cars ive driven in snow and i dont even bother with winter tyres. High gear low revs and its like a tank.

i was given the new standars seat leon the other year as a courtesy car and it snowed, every time it hit a bit of ice the traction control would kick in and the car just didnt want to do anything, i was so happy when i got my vrs back.

• Like 1

Uniroyal Rainsports seem to offer year round safe driving and work well on the Fabia, wet, dry or in snow.  Not as good as a purpose made winter/snow tyre, but good enough for all but the worst roads.  Problem isn't so much the tyres with a FWD diesel, usually it's other drivers who haven't got a clue and drive at 2mph every time a few snow flake falls, stopping at the base of inclines so ruining anyone else's chances of getting up the slopes or who have no idea or experience in snow.  If they aren't competent to drive on a few inches of snow, they shouldn't drive in the stuff.  Gosh...where did that rant come from?  :D

Edited by SEVrs
  • Like 2

Ive been using effiplus epluto 205 45 16 on a spare set of std alloys and the car just wouldnt get stuck.

Road i lived on was steap with no run ups and even 4x4 with all season tyres couldnt get out. Me well no probs. Even rubbed it in their faces by driving in and out a few times while they all struggled and dug the snow to go to work. Served them right after the year before where i cleared the entire road and never got a thanks from any of them.

• Like 1

Uniroyal Rainsports seem to offer year round safe driving and work well on the Fabia, wet, dry or in snow.  Not as good as a purpose made winter/snow tyre, but good enough for all but the worst roads.  Problem isn't so much the tyres with a FWD diesel, usually it's other drivers who haven't got a clue and drive at 2mph every time a few snow flake falls, stopping at the base of inclines so ruining anyone else's chances of getting up the slopes or who have no idea or experience in snow.  If they aren't competent to drive on a few inches of snow, they shouldn't drive in the stuff.  Gosh...where did that rant come from?  :D

I certainly agree with this previously its been a nightmare driving around people who just can't drive in the snow! I had to rescue a stranded ambulance a previous year that was stuck half way up the hill the lady driving it couldn't get it up the hill I drove it first time there's nothing quite like driving an ambulance with the lights and siren on when you aren't an paramedic!

Appreciate all the comments think i'm going to go down the route of some decent winter tyres probably continental's although I have Michelins on atm which are probably more than sufficient in the winter.

If you want any form of confidence, fit winter tyres all round. Otherwise, it may make it to work or wherever but you won't feel confident doing it. IMO the wide tyres and the power steering rob the steering of any feel off the front end. Lowered, stiffened cars will be worse.

The car is not really important, its all about the tyres. Proper mountain and snowflake marked tyres will sort you out. DRIVER.

Sorted. I never get problems in my Furby inwinter, irrespective of tyres. It's all about ANTICIPATION.

No amount of perceived skill can compensate for poor grip. With the wrong tyres, you will find it harder to get going and with that, some inclines, even small ones that the car will plain not go up no matter what you do. You will take longer distances to brake. You won't have as much control in corners. It's a simple matter of physics.

While anticipation is a good thing, when you are driving in poor conditions, especially around other cars on the wrong tyres, you can only anticipate that other cars are not going to be particularly predictable. People can touch the brakes and spin in front of you, under and oversteer are more extreme. And then, you can be driving behind someone like me, who has winter tyres and if you base what you think my stopping distance is off your car, you're going to be pulling your radiator off my tow bar.

The ones who think they are good at driving in snow without winter tyres are the ones who end up crawling at 2mph because anyone who goes faster is obviously dangerous and not in control of their car. Their awesome skills are not at fault, they 'did the right thing' and tried to keep momentum up the hill and its that bloody idiot in front who doesn't have a clue what they're doing and caused them to get stuck by stopping.

Having said all that, winter tyres are not the be all and end all of winter driving, you must always drive to the conditions an they just make the job 10x easier and safer and anyway the OP was asking about opinions of his car, in relation to them and not his driving skills :)