After remap

kennedy

Finally got round to having my car mapped and wow what a difference,absolutely love it now. 

One thing though, after he mapped it he told me there was a slight whine from my turbo and that I should be prepared , it's a kkk with 96k 

I'm now paranoid whilst driving it and thinking it's going to blow at any time if I put my foot down.

Will put some money aside for a Garret PD 150 now but it has taken the buzz away from getting it done now. 

Maybe he is just covering his arse then, I know these turbos have a **** reputation though

Mine has wined for 30k and still alright :) it's always done it.

Really depends on the noise, the slight whine low down in revs is usually caused by warn bearings and can last a long time so long as the car is serviced as usual. The famous police siren noise as you boot it is usually caused by damaged blades, again the turbo can last quite a bit.

My last one whined on low revs and I was paranoid after having previous turbo issues, had a hybrid fitted and the whiney one sent to a company for refurb.

When they tested it on boost they found no issues at all, I described the conditions it was making the noise so they checked the balance and it was off slightly. Was only when they took it apart they found the bearings had worn a bit possibly from oil contamination.

Basically if your feeling paranoid start looking for a really cheap garrett turbo and get it recond by a decent company as this is usually the cheapest option. Then just keep it sat in a box as a spare just in case but I wouldnt bother changing it just yet, if it starts whining on full boost or the current noise gets louder, then start worrying.

Mine was always a bit wild before the PD150 was installed and the Geartech larger better bearings were installed in the gearbox too. Makes it more resistant to bullitts as it were and now its absolutely brilliant accelerating and very, very smooth too. Costs money though but well worth it.