1.0 Turbo on the way

RapidRonnie

135 hp out of a 1.0TSi

when we had all the issues with the MK2 vrs?

I would be very wary

Ford have had a 125bhp version of their 1 litre 3 cylinder engine on the market for a couple of years now, VAG are a little behind the drag curve on this.
  • Like 1

How does a turbo reduce emissions?. Are you not adding more fuel for the extra air?. Or do you get a more complete burn as it runs leaner than a n/a engine? .

I would suspect that the 1.0T will make it into the Citigo eventually, if not for performance then for emissions as it is easier to use a turbo to get emission levels down.

Ian

Turbo gives better efficiency. Turbo engine doesn't have to suck the air as it's compressed. Less pumping losses. That's the theory, in real life it's not so simple always.

For example new Fabia. 1.2 TSI has a bit better fuel economy than 1.0 MPI. 1.2 TSI is turbo charged and more powerfull aswell.

A smaller turbocharged engine will always produce lower emissions than a larger NA one due to higher efficiency, and lower pumping losses. Also a turbo engine can be set up so that it can be a lean burn engine when needs be, only fuelling up to produce max power when it is needed to.

Ian

Are you sure about the lean burn? I think that ECU tries to achieve lambda 1 value all the time. Lean mixture isn't lambda 1.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong.

I had a fiesta ecoboost one day aas a loner. I couldn't believe it was a 3 cylinder. Brilliant engine. Felt like the XR3i Old school Hot hatches.

I expect Skoda/VAG could quite easily tune their small TSIs to around this level too, but then economy would probably suffer. I think the 1.0 litre Ford engine is renowned for being way off it's claimed MPG figures?

I expect Skoda/VAG could quite easily tune their small TSIs to around this level too, but then economy would probably suffer. I think the 1.0 litre Ford engine is renowned for being way off it's claimed MPG figures?

Is it? My mate is very happy with his b max evoboost but is not able to tell me the exact mpg

The Ford ecoboost engine doesn't give great mpg if you enjoy the available power. I've heard of a few instances of engines failing due to overheating problems.

Providing vag don't overtune the 1.0turbo it should give equivalent power to the 1.2 tsi and better economy.

No matter if it's turbo, or naturally aspirated -> When you accelerate use at least half a throttle (if possible). Then keep speed steady with slight throttle. Do not pump throttle pedal all the time. And keep your revs as low as possible. This is the way you get best possible efficiency, which means better fuel economy at the same time. That's what Citigo is trying to tell you, if you look which gear it recommends you to use.