Revo, Bluefin or Shark?

Check with your insurance company first to avoid a potentially nasty and expensive surprise!

Yeah... that's one thing that's putting me off. Don't want the hassle of finding an insurance company that allows mods and paying extra etc.

Didn't know there was one in York else I'd have gone there! Pays to check first!! Ah well, road trip to Mansfield!

Aye.

It's these guys:

http://www.jjbmotors.co.uk/tuning/shark-performance

Phil

Yeah... that's one thing that's putting me off. Don't want the hassle of finding an insurance company that allows mods and paying extra etc.

Aye.

It's these guys:

Phil

Many of the insurance sponsors on this site will give you a quote and are worth checking out. Admiral, esure and LV do mod insurance as well but as you say it's worth investigating how much extra it will cost. LV just charge a flat increase while the others base it on how much extra power you'll get

Aye.

It's these guys:

Phil

can thoroughly recommend these guys in York, just had a 1.9 PD remapped with Revo stage 1, totally transformed the car. 25% discount offer too! Very pleased with the car and service.

Ordered my Stage 1 and STS today from Shark. I considered going with Revo as there is a reseller and tuner just down the road, but even with their 25% discount too, it was more expensive.

Should be delivered tomorrow, then need to figure what steps I have to take, as the guy on the phone didn't fill me with confidence

Many of the insurance sponsors on this site will give you a quote and are worth checking out. Admiral, esure and LV do mod insurance as well but as you say it's worth investigating how much extra it will cost. LV just charge a flat increase while the others base it on how much extra power you'll get

Im looking at mapping mine in the new year and have just insured with LV map declared. Incredible price £212 fully comp protected no claims. Over £100 cheaper than skoda who wouldn't cover the map.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So yesterday I travelled to Mansfield and had the remap installed on my car. Whilst I was there I changed out the coil packs and the DV.

With the snow being reasonably heavy in and around Hull it's been difficult to really gauge the difference however I did have a play on the way home yesterday.

First impressions are good, acceleration is much more progressive whilst remaining smooth but sustaining right through the rev range. It doesn't quite give you the shove in the chest surge that I expected, when I had my Focus ST remapped the difference was night and day and the power increase was glaringly obvious that said it transforms the car from a sensible family car to a hot hatch more than capable of holding its own.

All in all its £300 well spent.

• Like 2

Revo all the way, I rang and spoke to Shark and they didn't fill me with confidence, and quite a bad attitude on the phone not very helpfull, business maybe comes a bit to easy for them I don't know but Revo for me.

This was an option for me. Initially the price was the biggest point, however with the Revo winter sale and the offer of free fitting on the DV and coil packs there wasn't much in it. On another day Revo may well have won out...

Revo all the way, I rang and spoke to Shark and they didn't fill me with confidence, and quite a bad attitude on the phone not very helpfull, business maybe comes a bit to easy for them I don't know but Revo for me.

Out of interest, how was their attitude bad?

Not on the 'book of face' (personal reasons) so I've no idea if there are any current discounts offered by Shark. Are there any currently? Considering getting stage 1 for my Mk2 TDI VRS but holding off as over 500 notes is a lot of money. Not complaining like but if I can get a map discounted then that would sway me. 

Out of interest, how was their attitude bad?

I rang up enquiring about what my options were, asked a few questions like what peak boost will it run, can the map be adjusted to deliver power as I require etc, whilst they answered these it just seemed like a total hassle for them. Like in say they have a good reputation so maybe they just expect people to go to them. Don't get me wrong there maps are obviously good. I just didn't get the right feel customer service wise.

I rang up enquiring about what my options were, asked a few questions like what peak boost will it run, can the map be adjusted to deliver power as I require etc, whilst they answered these it just seemed like a total hassle for them. Like in say they have a good reputation so maybe they just expect people to go to them. Don't get me wrong there maps are obviously good. I just didn't get the right feel customer service wise.

Maybe they were just busy, like building one off custom cars? They really do know what they are talking about, don't be put of just because one company put money into PR and reception staff while another puts it into getting the best engineers.

I know which I'd choose, and after much looking around, I did.

Not on the 'book of face' (personal reasons) so I've no idea if there are any current discounts offered by Shark. Are there any currently? Considering getting stage 1 for my Mk2 TDI VRS but holding off as over 500 notes is a lot of money. Not complaining like but if I can get a map discounted then that would sway me.

10% for Brisoda members so £50 of your £500 map :)

So yesterday I travelled to Mansfield and had the remap installed on my car. Whilst I was there I changed out the coil packs and the DV.

With the snow being reasonably heavy in and around Hull it's been difficult to really gauge the difference however I did have a play on the way home yesterday.

First impressions are good, acceleration is much more progressive whilst remaining smooth but sustaining right through the rev range. It doesn't quite give you the shove in the chest surge that I expected, when I had my Focus ST remapped the difference was night and day and the power increase was glaringly obvious that said it transforms the car from a sensible family car to a hot hatch more than capable of holding its own.

All in all its £300 well spent.

You'll have seen my Yeti then :)

i'm swaying towards a Shark map myself - would anyone be able to give an opinion if you need to have the DSG box mapped as well to get the most out of it? Some people say you have to as the box has a torque limiter, others (Angel Tuning in Banbury for example) say to leave the DSG box well alone as it causes too many problems, and the torque limiter is in the ECU itself....

Would love to hear opinions to help sway my decision :)

Cheers!

i'm swaying towards a Shark map myself - would anyone be able to give an opinion if you need to have the DSG box mapped as well to get the most out of it? Some people say you have to as the box has a torque limiter, others (Angel Tuning in Banbury for example) say to leave the DSG box well alone as it causes too many problems, and the torque limiter is in the ECU itself....

Cheers!

Give Shark a call and ask. At least you'll get a straight answer straight from the horses mouth. They're really helpful.

Cheers!

I'd say yes, the box as standard is quite a pain after the remap. Drive just goes to the highest gear asap and sport just keeps the revs too high for normal driving.

The remap from what I've read, improves this 100%

• Like 2