CAVE vs CTHE

It is Startng to become like a repeated joke.

Even I am becoming bored with the subject.

There is enough information on this site now to write a couple of bad experience novels.

Also a couple of "product ****" manuals with how to deal with unreasonable manufactures, providing poor quality product to unsuspecting buyers.

Extract and publish the most helpful threads!

• Like 1

If you're happy with 1 roughly 1 in 5 chance of your engine being a lemon and like writing complaint letters, then go ahead and buy a car with VWs award winning, twin charged, 1.4 tsi engine.

Even the newest CTHE engines are not immune from problems (see recent thread).

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/337120-fabia-vrs-2010-14-tsi-engine-problems/

• Like 1

There are actually threads with CTHE Failures,

2 members that required engines replaced early 2013 just after the CTHE was fitted to the cars late 2012.

But more recently a CTHE owner with a car at just about 12 months old had one fail, and had a replacement engine fitted.

Skoda & VW (Seat & Audi) really do not seem to be making the Franchised Dealerships, Master Technicians, Technicians, Fitters 

& Showroom or Service Desk Staff and managers aware of the potential issues.

So many are in the dark,

yet the Likes of Alasdair Stewart Brand Director Skoda UK, Tom Chadwick & John Good Customer Services Managers at Skoda UK

know how many failures there are among the 1,800 CAVE engine cars and less than 1,200 CTHE engines.

Head in the Sand, treat customers like Mushrooms,  or the Volkswagen Senior Management making a decision 

to keep a lid on it, 

It will go away if we never acknowledge there was and is a problem.

Some help please.

I can not find it,  Has Honest John been gagged.

I see the Fabia MK2 review article,  but  the 'Good & Bad' section with the various failures seems to be missing.

If it is still there and its just me missing it,

Could you link it please.  ?  

ta

Some help please.

I can not find it,  Has Honest John been gagged.

I see the Fabia MK2 review article,  but  the 'Good & Bad' section with the various failures seems to be missing.

If it is still there and its just me missing it,

Could you link it please.  ?  

ta

This one?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-vrs-2010/?section=good

• Like 1

I had a CAVE and now a CTHE and the CTHE is definitely better, small details and more power, nicer exhaust note, but quieter in general running.

Both drink oil, my CTHE is worse than my CAVE, so £40 worth of oil for about 10,000 miles is better than 6 months of hassle with Skoda staff. :sun:

They do not all have the same Power CAVE or CTHE.

They should meet the Minimum Official Output on 95 ron in the UK,

because that is the expected output in other World Regions at a big range of Temperatures & Altitudes.

My understanding is that the quoted power is on 98 RON, IIRC it says reduced efficiency with 95 (and 98 is in much larger print on the label inside the fuel cap).

Shark rider - what fuel are you using? The power hike at 5k is all but gone in mine running on Momentum 99. Looking forward to getting back on to Esso 97 :-)

Can you please find where the information you base your understanding on in any VW , Skoda, Seat or Audi print ?

I know what is on the Filler Cap, 'Super', & what the Recommended Fuel is.

& it is common sense to believe that.

**I also know what the Owners Manual says on Fuel Octane, 

PAGE 162.  **

THEY SEEMED TO MISS OUT MENTION OF THE 'SUPER' 98 RON for the 1.4 TSI 132 kW engine.

I have the VW Polo GTI & Skoda vRS 1.4 TSI , Audi A1 185 ps, & Seat Ibiza Cupra brochures, and the Spec & engine power outputs,

no Small print on them with,

180 ps / 6,200 rpm,

'Achieved using 'Super Unleaded 98 Octane fuel' ,   that i can see,

But then that is the figures many buy cars after reading the brochures and Magazine Articles or Forums base their purchase on.

PS

Bottom of the Skoda Fabia MK2 Brochure page.

'The Skoda Fabia Engine Specification',

"  'Fuel'

Unleaded petrol RON 95 or unleaded petrol RON 91 / Diesel "

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

Not sure if the VW GTI / R Brochures show the recommended fuel as 98 ron where they show the BHP /PS.

Edited by goneoffSKi

My understanding is that the quoted power is on 98 RON, IIRC it says reduced efficiency with 95 (and 98 is in much larger print on the label inside the fuel cap).

Shark rider - what fuel are you using? The power hike at 5k is all but gone in mine running on Momentum 99. Looking forward to getting back on to Esso 97 :-)

I only have access (Cumbria!lol) to esso 97 or BP 97 , so it normally runs on either of those 2.... I fill up with shell 99 when I'm away from home if I can :)

There is a Members ex car for sale at a Dealers.  Red, Black roof, Black wheels,  a good car.

Jan 2013 / 62 Plate,  13,100 miles.

Skoda Dealership  asking £11,000.

but that might be reduced greatly since it in not selling and we are only weeks away from 2015.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

There is mine also, 2013 black with 17,000 miles, RARB, Bolero, rear elec windows, bluetooth about to be traded in for considerably less than than red one is up for.

Could sort a deal out with the dealer who's buying it or buy it direct.

• Like 1

haha tatty its had two owners from new before i was due to test drive it! and now someone else has bought it looks like I'm getting a OIL BURNER cave ;)

Plenty of others out there, looks like you're buying at the right time. Dealers looking to get rid before the mk 3's come in.