Anyone messed about with a BMW M43 engine? (a.k.a late 90's 1.8)

Rob.

M43 in a very late (T plate) e36 tourer...

Runs sweet as a nut once warm, but on cold mornings or damp evenings for the first mile or two as you lift off the accelerator to stop at lights or the like, it drops way down to 400rpm and then almost immediately catches it's self and bounces back up to 900rpm.. No real hunting, a little for a second after perhaps, but not excessive.

Have cleaned out the idle valve, that helped. Also bought a "good" one off ebay but that's worse then my cleaned one.

No vacuum leaks, in fact many many pipes have been changed.

Stat recently changed, which in turn proved the temp sender to be good.

throttle body recently inspected, found to be good.

DISA valve unit changed for a 100% known good one. (it had started ticking)

No oil consumption. Very little coolant lost. No signs of HG failure.

Taking the battery off for 30 minutes makes it go away for a week or more.. then it comes back.

MPG normal.

New plugs, oil, coolant and filters just gone in... Honestly running sweetly after the first mile or 2.

It sounds like you're on the money with the ICV to be honest. If everything else has been checked. Only other thing that'll cause issues like that is the crank position sensor, but that generally tends to make the whole engine die?

As long as you're absolutely sure there are no vacuum leaks, that is...

And yes, she is Titan Silver. My little monster. Running circa 250bhp, an LSD, Bilstein suspension. She's fun.

ring2014-1.jpg

ring2014-burnout.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Oh.. another question.. Where's a good e36 forum?? struggling to find a decent one.. Used to be on forum5 with the e34

Sorry for the late reply, totally forgot about this! And that leather is mine, go away.  :p

Try e36coupe.com, I've had some really useful stuff on there. A lot of the Facebook pages are pretty good these days- E36/E46 owner's club FB page is a fount of knowledge.