Disaster strikes

macca72

Hi Macca72,

Sorry to reply late on this one but I think I may have an idea of what is going on as I don't believe in crazy coincidences. So,

We were all insisting "check plugs - check plugs - check plugs". 40K miles on stock plugs is playing with fire. Now the (useless) garage said "of course sir, we checked them they are fine" and it was only after you took it to them for the second time that they suddenly discovered one of them was on its way out??? What the h&*( is going on here? Who is fooling who? (the question is addressed to them obviously). That's why I insisted on you having a proof of the plugs condition (photo etc.) and see for yourself how "fine" they were. To me it sounds like one plug started failing/failed and that's why you had the misfires/warning lights.

Now, incidentally, after your service and spark plug change you had a similar fault code to the one I had ALSO after I had changed the plugs myself...  You want to know what had happened then? Trying to remove all the pipework above the coilpacks (a ridiculous design in terms of space allocation) I had probably torn/disconnected/cracked a connector in the air intake manifold, not visible from the front of the car. Oh wait, don't tell me the super competent technicians that were unable to identify a good plug from a bad one the first time, couldn't have similarly cracked a connector/pipe while replacing the plugs? I would say it definitely sounds like it and in case the diagnostics show that it is indeed a broken connector/pipe in the intake system you have every right to ask them to replace it under their own cost. I would get them to replace it for free and never set my foot in that place again. 

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

Indeed, I have a suspicion they did this after they had told me they were ok earlier in the day.  I am now convinced that the cause of the initial problem was the plugs, it all seems to tie up.  To be fair the fact I then got the 40k service is fine, as that was coming anyway.

The real discussion will take place on Monday when they diagnose the fault that has since appeared, I know they will start by saying they took it for a test drive after they had done the service and everything was ok, but I'm with you newbie, it's too much of a coincidence.

I suppose it is possible that it developed this fault in the 20 mins between me leaving the dealership and getting home, but unlikely.

I'll see what they say the fault is before I bring up the possibility of them being at fault. 

And yes goneoffski, I can totally see how this lax attitude can cause big problems, I am grateful in a way I dodged a bullet.

Edited by macca72

My exhaust light comes on regularly. At first I immediately called Skoda Assist and they came out and found nothing a couple of times. Another time I called Skoda customer service and they said the exhaust light can mean so many things I could ignore it, if the car drives right and there has never been a misfire or power loss.

So it's on again today and I am ignoring it; I bet tomorrow it will be out again.  I do lots of short journeys.

It could well be,  but talk it over with the Service Manager or Workshop manager.  Maybe best the Dealer Principal.

They should have let you see the Spark Plugs.  

?  

Whats the real story on Plugs OK & then one Corroded,  why not hold onto it?

So some Honesty from them or an explanation is in order. 

You had a Warning Light on Oil Pressure,

then a comedy of errors after the AA man had seen it.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Bit of quick advice if there's anyone about...

Dealer confirms a split intake seal, is this consistent with the work they did removing the plugs? If so I'm going to push for them to pay for it.

Cheers

I am not a Skoda Master Tech but I do know I had the exact same thing happening to me the first time I changed plugs myself. It is a ridiculous procedure that requires you to unclip sensors, unmount and move away piping from the top of the coilpacks to gain access to them and things are pretty tight there, they don't move very easily. All it takes is a clumsy technician forcing it a bit too much and some seal/pipe will come off.

I think you have every right to suggest this happened after they put their hands on the car. If they refuse, ask them to show you were it's located and how they go removing plugs on this engine and see for yourself whether the procedure they follow includes messing around with the broken seal. You have to explain to them you are aware of what changing the plugs includes and that the incidents are related though it may need some particular approach to get them to accept they broke it but I can't see how this could have come off on its own, only a day after they removed the coils/changed the plugs... Especially taking into account their contradicting verdict on the plugs (one moment they are fine, then the next, one is on its way out...) they don't strike me as the most capable garage out there.

Edited by newbie69

Well, that was all a bit premature...

I have to give them credit in all fairness, I walked into the building and the service desk handed me my keys and said, "all sorted, have a good Christmas" never even asked for any money.

I'm pleased, but also intrigued as to why.  Maybe they knew what was coming, or it was clear when they diagnosed what had happened.

She now drives and sounds like I remember, so am happy and looking forward to the boxing day drive to the in-laws.

Worth saying again thanks to everyone for help & advice, it really does make a difference.

Merry Christmas to all :)

Edited by macca72
  • Like 4

Well if that isn't implying "sorry, we f(*&^d up during the service but we fixed it now!"... As I said, it sounded too much of a coincidence.

Important thing is you're sorted now. Oh, the feeling of when you've just got the car back after a repair... isn't it great? 

Well if that isn't implying "sorry, we f(*&^d up during the service but we fixed it now!"... As I said, it sounded too much of a coincidence.

Important thing is you're sorted now. Oh, the feeling of when you've just got the car back after a repair... isn't it great? 

Yeah, I was going to give them a hard time, but they sorted it out so credit where it's due.

And yes, it feels fantastic, back to how it was when I first drove it.  I think in hindsight what I should have done is have the major service when I bought it (33k) instead of spending money on the eibachs I put on :)

• Like 1

You opened this thread with:

1. Engine light flashed, which according to the book is exhaust control system

2. Had a dreaded oil pressure, stop car warning

But I got somewhat lost after that - possibly faulty plug(s), split intake seal, etc,?

Do you know what exactly caused the exhaust control system light to come on?

Was the split intake seal  a result of carelessness when removing or replacing the plugs?

I have had the exhaust control system light come on and when I took the car in to the dealer they said "No fault found",

Personally I associated it with a change from 97 RON to 99 RON confusing the ECU.

I didn't get any warning about oil and I check that pretty regularly (two litres used in a little over 8,000 miles).

You opened this thread with:

But I got somewhat lost after that - possibly faulty plug(s), split intake seal, etc,?

Do you know what exactly caused the exhaust control system light to come on?

Was the split intake seal  a result of carelessness when removing or replacing the plugs?

I have had the exhaust control system light come on and when I took the car in to the dealer they said "No fault found",

Personally I associated it with a change from 97 RON to 99 RON confusing the ECU.

I didn't get any warning about oil and I check that pretty regularly (two litres used in a little over 8,000 miles).

Yeah, the above is right.

Essentially I noticed the exhaust light come on under heavy acceleration, then shortly after got the Oil pressure - Stop warning, which is when the AA came out.  They diagnosed and couldn't find the fault, but I took it to the dealers because the warning wasn't oil low, it was oil pressure.

They found one recorded misfire, but nothing else.  As it was coming up to service time (and all the warnings from posters here about plugs) I instructed them to do the service, and replace the plugs.  The fact they first told me that the plugs were ok, then subsequently said one was corroding, is by the by.

I got home and the exhaust light came on again, AA came out again and diagnosed an air intake issue, so went back to the dealers.  They found the air intake seal cracked and repaired it.  I suspect (given the coincidence) that when they replaced the plugs they broke something.

Fuel is 100% not an issue in my case.

The exhaust light in the first instance was the misfire due to (what I now believe) the plugs.  Second time it was air intake.  Oil pressure warning I'm not 100% sure, could be all related to the plugs issue. 

Edited by macca72

I am of the opinion that owners need to TELL dealers to fit new plugs as opposed to asking if the fitted ones are ok. Ask them to leave the old ones in the boot for inspection. If they are ok, keep them for spare parts, any rot, bin them.

Skoda dealers quote over £100 to replace Spark Plugs that cost less then £40 Retail.

They can quote and charge that even when you are paying £250 already for a Major Inspection Service.

or Over £140 for a Minor Service.

VW Dealerships add only £50 to the price of the Service to have new Spark Plugs fitted.

I am of the opinion that owners need to TELL dealers to fit new plugs as opposed to asking if the fitted ones are ok. Ask them to leave the old ones in the boot for inspection. If they are ok, keep them for spare parts, any rot, bin them.

The issue with this is you shouldn't really have to.  The dealer / manufacturer has a duty to make sure that parts are fit for purpose for the designated times.  Fortunately forums like this help educate, but there will be many more people who suffer because they are not informed in this way.

That said, you are correct that if you know the plugs are an issue, then yes, tell the dealers to change them.

To be fair to VW they did or do mostly when the 1.4 TSI Twincharger was / is 160 ps,

apart from when they had the wrong plugs, which they managed to do.

But then they mapped to 180 ps minimum. and made some mistakes and had lots of engine issues and failures,

the way the one particular spark plug is treated with oiling and cooking is an issue,

so they changed the Engines & Engine Management but stuck with the same plugs, almost the same issue with the plugs (plug)

& the same Service Schedule / Guidelines.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi

Standard fit by VW are 03c905601 A  or 03c905601B Long Life Plugs.

on them as you get them from VW (Skoda, Seat, Audi)

they have 'NGK VW AG' on them  

(the bumff & on the box shows them as 'laser platinum')

NGK PZFR6R (5758)

NGK Platinum

Edited by goneoffSKi