Sun blinds

Gingerthing

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have just put a deposit down on a grey Urban which I can't wait to collect  :D I want sun blinds for the dogs and was going to get them from UV Car Blinds, but the rear window one is in 2 pieces. Found these on Superskoda http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/YETI/Yeti-5pcs-set-of-sun-privacy-bug-shades which is a one piece but don't look as dark as the other ones? Anybody got them and how dark are they? I think I'd rather have a join on very dark ones than no join on lighter ones. What do you think? 

Hi Gingerthing, welcome to the forum. You are just going to LOVE your new Yeti.

I've got the sunscreens where the rear screen is in two parts (mine came from Vansales and I found their customer service very good when I had to contact them). I was initially worried it would annoy me but you very quickly forget it is there. I've got dogs, which is the reason I bought them, and have found them very good and having screens rather than further tinting does mean in the winter months you can take them out which much help visibility when light levels are low. The other benefit I've found is that with the screens in the rear passenger windows and the windows down a bit (again for the dogs benefit) there is less of a draught across my neck but also it seems to eliminate the "booming" that you can get as speed picks up.

The blinds are really quick to fit - the passenger windows it is two clips per window, the side windows to the cargo area are a push fit. There is only one clip provided for each half of the rear screen and if you don't fit it correctly they can/will fall out; by trial and error I found the trick is when fitting them to make sure the "tail"makes a slight hook under the rear screen trim. If you put it on so that the tail is parallel to the sunscreen it is likely to fall out.

The other thing you might want to consider are wind deflectors for the windows. Some people like them, some people hate them. I like them becasue again they seem to cut down on wind noise but also I can have the windows down a couple of inches for ventilation and the rain doesn't come in. Again very useful if you have dogs and need to leave them in a parked car for a short time (with all the usual provisos of course). Mine are the "smoked" effect, which I think works well on my car but if I was replacing them and had the choice I'm pretty sure I would have clear plastic ones if available - not as "stylish" but I think the visibility through them would be better. It's not a big issue, the benefits out weigh any disadvantage, but the downside of getting old is I'm getting more sensible.

In the bigger picture the sunscreens and the wind deflectors are expensive items and don't require any modification to the car so if they don't suit you they can be removed and no harm done. (And if you join Freedom you hopefully would be able to resell them on this forum).

(Some photos of the blinds fitted in my Yeti at posst #25 and an update at #29 here

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/160794-yeti-sunblinds/

I have UV Car Blinds (Vanstyle) for my Octavia II Estate. The side luggage compartment blinds are permanently fitted for security and looks and the rear door ones when I carry dogs in a special hammock over the rear seats. The latter blinds saved the day last June when the dogs had to stay in the car while it was being recovered by the RAC. There wasn't room in the recovery vehicle cab for the dogs and it was a relatively hot but wet day. I don't fit the rear door shades when the dogs are not in the car because the view through them at an angle, ie when looking over your shoulder at other than a T junction, is very restricted. And I never use the rear window blinds because they severely restrict the view when reversing at night. All that said, I will be ordering a another set when I take delivery of my new Yeti early next year.

Thanks all - the car already has privacy glass but think it'll look even better darker  :p. I'm used to driving with a crate in the boot so have never had great visibility, and at least the Yeti has parking sensors! I used to have Window Sox on the Astra which are a similar sort of thing, but as they were on the outside of the window as well, they got wet and faded in the sun eventually, and only covered the rear door windows, not the boot area. I also very much like being able to have the back windows open without wasps flying in  :D 

Paul52 I like your wind deflectors (was thinking you meant the front window ones, which I don't like the look of) they don't look too bad at all. I really can't wait to get my Yeti, just need to get my private plate transferred, but with dealer and DVLA being closed over xmas it's going to take a little longer  :(  - don't really mind as at least the search is over, having missed out on 2 and viewing one that was scratched and dented, having found one is the main thing!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Vanstyle shades - they didn't fit very well. The 2 piece rear shade kept falling out and the two rear door window shades had to be wrestled into place and then fouled the window glass every time it was opened/closed.

So I got a refund for them and then bought the genuine skoda shades (which have a single rear window shade). They're more expensive but they fit perfectly.

I did wonder why the ones I found above were that cheap. I am pleased that the genuine ones can be bought separately because I just want the side cargo area ones.